Google I/O 22 Announcements - RC Product Priorities

Show first post

62 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey, is there already an ETA on this?

Hey @Ralf Meyer we have a beta out! See the  post below if you’re interested in joining:

Badge

Hi there,

I’m curious. Right now, we’re advised not to make multiple base plans for our subscription. In the future, when this is supported, will this fix the problem where some users are able to subscribe to both monthly/yearly subscriptions (and be double charged) for the same product? We have this issue and are looking for solutions.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi there,

I’m curious. Right now, we’re advised not to make multiple base plans for our subscription. In the future, when this is supported, will this fix the problem where some users are able to subscribe to both monthly/yearly subscriptions (and be double charged) for the same product? We have this issue and are looking for solutions.

Hey @Gabe Jacobs , great question! You’re correct - attempting to purchase any base plan within an already-purchased subscription will no longer result in being doubly-charged. It would not be possible to have more than one base plan active at a time.

The new library will allow switching between base plan durations, if that is something you wish to offer.

You can use CustomerInfo to find out which entitlement is currently active, and ensure any products belonging to the same entitlement are purchased as an upgrade/downgrade rather than a normal purchase. You can do this by passing UpgradeInfo into the purchase flow.

Badge

Hi there,

Hey @Gabe Jacobs , great question! You’re correct - attempting to purchase any base plan within an already-purchased subscription will no longer result in being doubly-charged. It would not be possible to have more than one base plan active at a time.

The new library will allow switching between base plan durations, if that is something you wish to offer.

In both the current and upcoming versions of the SDK, it would be best practice to avoid giving the user the option to re-purchase a currently active subscription. You can use CustomerInfo to find out which entitlement is currently active, and hide any associated products from your paywall. Let me know if this makes sense!

Hey Maddie,

So if a user has purchased a monthly subscription, would you suggest making it impossible for them to sign up for the yearly option? Or perhaps when they sign up for the yearly option we mention they must manually cancel the monthly subscription? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey Maddie,

So if a user has purchased a monthly subscription, would you suggest making it impossible for them to sign up for the yearly option? Or perhaps when they sign up for the yearly option we mention they must manually cancel the monthly subscription? 

Actually, I didn’t speak correctly. Thank you for clarifying. You could hide it, but then users wouldn’t be able to switch between durations.

Instead of hiding it, just make sure you perform that purchase as an upgrade/downgrade. You can do this by passing UpgradeInfo into the purchase method, and add the oldProductId to the UpgradeInfo. 

I’ll go ahead and update the comment above so it’s correct for others.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey everyone! The team is excited to announce that purchases-android v6 has been released, with support for BillingCilent 5, including multiple base plans per subscription and multiple offers per base plan. 

For details on how to start the migration, check out our guide here.

Badge +5

@Maddie Does purchases-android v6 also support Observer Mode when using Billing Client 5? The migration guide doesn’t mention Observer Mode at all.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Maddie Does purchases-android v6 also support Observer Mode when using Billing Client 5? The migration guide doesn’t mention Observer Mode at all.

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll get the guide updated. But yes, v6 supports observer mode as well.

Badge +2

Hey, what about React Native? Is this update included there?

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@Ralf Meyer We are currently working on support BC5 on React Native. I’ll let you know once the beta is out

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@Ralf Meyer we have just released a beta version of React Native with support for BC5 (6.0.0-beta.1).

Any feedback more than welcome

Badge +2

Hey, thanks for the update. 

Seems to work fine. I hope this is stable enough for production, as we are shortly before launching our app and I’d like to skip the old subscription model altogether.