Question

Service Account Credentials JSON - Credentials need attention

Badge +3
  • 11 replies

I made and remade this service account credentials JSON multiple times and it still won’t work. I even created a new google cloud project and made a new service account there. Did the whole process outlined in the docs to create the service account with pub/sub admin etc and it fails to work. 

I keep getting an error that the “credentials need attention”. 

It doesn’t seem to have any problem accessing my subscription products in the google play console. 

However, in each product it also says beside “Store Status” - “Could not check” and “Connection issue - Make sure the service account credentials JSON is configured properly.”

Has anybody else had issue like this and managed to resolve them? 

Thanks, 

Jay

41 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @jp97 ,

In the google app (in RC dashboard), under the service account credentials json input we added some validation and tooltip to explain what’s going on with the credentials

When you hover it, do you see any specific error?

Badge +3

Thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly. 

Yep, Image attached. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

mmm…. I think the unknown might come from RC not finding the app in Google. I would check that the package name configured in RevenueCat matches the one you have in Google

Badge +3

So I don’t currently have the “Google Play package” field set for this app. 

See attached image. 

Could this be the problem?

Badge +3

I’ve updated the “Google play package” field and I’m still getting the same error.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Not having the package name is definitely a problem. The API used by RC to fetch information from Google requires a package name. We should probably explicitly mention that in the error to avoid this confusion.

And does the app exist in Google Console (with the same package name)?

Badge +3

See the attached images for what I’ve done. Pretty sure I’ve added the package name to this field now. 

However, it is still giving me the same “credentials need attention errors as before”

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

ok, perfecto. So now if you hover the validation status on the app, I think you should see if there’s an error or not (the previous screenshot only had question marks)

One things that could be causing errors is that google credentials might take up to 36 hours to propagate. There’s a workaround to speed this up

Link: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/creating-play-service-credentials

Badge +3

Yes, so now the validation status’s have changed. X’s not questions marks this time. See attached Image. 

I will try what you have proposed now. 

Badge +3

I tried what you have proposed to speed up the google credentials propagation. 

However, it didn’t seem to do anything. 

I will just have to wait and see then. 🤞

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

ok, cool.

Just double checking. Make sure that the google play console account is associated with the correct google cloud project (the one you created the credentials)

Badge +3

Yeah as far as I’m aware the google play console account is associated with the correct google cloud project. 

As I said before I have no trouble accessing the products. So clearly something is connected ok. 

It hasn’t been 36 hours yet. Maybe 20ish and it’s still showing the credentials need attention error. 

Badge +3

@MarcosC Do you have any other thoughts on what the issue could be? Or steps to take in order to get this working. If I need to delete the app and remake? Or anything on the google play console side. At this point I’ll do anything. I really just need this to work. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

mmm…..I’m running out of ideas….

Can you check that the service account that you created is listed in the Users and permissions section of google play console? You can check the email of the service account by opening the JSON file you downloaded when you created the keys and look for the client_email value

Badge +3

Yes, the email of the service account in the JSON and in the “Users and permissions” section match.

Badge +3

Do you understand why I have no problem accessing the products in my offerings via revenuecat in my development expo build, yet it’s still saying that there is a credentials issue? Surely if there was something wrong then it just wouldn’t work, period. 

This must provide some clue? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Yes,

The way offerings work is:

We don’t use the service credentials in that part of the flow. The credentials will be used when you purchase a given product and we use them for other things (like the things you see in the dashboard).

At this point, the only thing I can think of is that it just takes time for credentials to propagate in google.

If you want, DM me here and we can jump on a zoom to review your configuration to see if we can find anything

Badge +3

Ahh ok that all makes sense, thanks. 

Well after adding the google play package name only yesterday around 4pm (UTC+1), I suppose it could take another 16 hours to figure out if thats the issue.

Cheers, I’ll DM you now. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

For anybody that faces this issue in the future:

We met and after confirming that everything was correctly configured, we re-uploaded the credentials and things started working as expected

Badge +3

Hi, @MarcosC Hope. you’r doing well, I’ve been facing similar issue from last 3 days,   “Could not validate subscription API Persmission”, on Android , We’r need this urgently to start working, on IOS all is working as expected, 
What we can do ? you have any ideas , we should implement, 

Thanks 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @ijaz-0ad9f8 

What do you see on RevenueCat UI? All three checks are failing? only one of them?

Badge +3

Thanks for your response, 

Only one have failing “Could not validate subscription API Permissions”. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@ijaz-0ad9f8 

The UI is showing a question mark (not an error). Have you tried purchasing a product in sandbox? It’s highly likely that we don’t have enough data to validate that the keys can validate purchases. My suggestion is perform a purchase flow in sandbox and see if it works

Badge +3

@ijaz-0ad9f8

The UI is showing a question mark (not an error). Have you tried purchasing a product in sandbox? It’s highly likely that we don’t have enough data to validate that the keys can validate purchases. My suggestion is perform a purchase flow in sandbox and see if it works

Thanks foru response,
I’m not able to fetch products either, below the logs (ANDROID ), I’m getting ,

The configuration seems ok for me, I’m run out of ideas.
Thanks 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@ijaz-0ad9f8 Credentials are not used for fetching products by the mobile app, they are used by RC backend to validate purchases, so I don’t think issues are related

Things I would double check:

• That you have products and offerings configured for the Google Play app
  • Do you have the app in closed testing?
  • Make sure the applicationId on the app matches the one in RevenueCat and in Google Play Console

Regards,

Marcos