Question

Can I create a way to unlock an entitlement outside of an In-App Purchase?

• 30 November 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I have an app with an optional subscription for additional features. I have a company that wants to offer these features to it’s employees via a partnership. Basically they will pay a one time fee for 1 year access on behalf of their employees who download the app. 

On the app store, I can create a promo code that grants a 1 year free trial, but this will auto renew on the individual users Apple ID’s, which is not what I want. It’s not possible to do this with the other subscription option (Non-renewing subscriptions) which I thought would be the ideal solution for this case. 

Would it be possible to create a section in my app, where the users can enter a custom code which will unlock a certain entitlement?

Thank you!

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Would it be possible to create a section in my app, where the users can enter a custom code which will unlock a certain entitlement?

Unfortunately this it’s against App Store rules to have a promo code redemption form like this unless you sell physical goods (in which case you can’t use in-app purchases anyway.) 

On the app store, I can create a promo code that grants a 1 year free trial, but this will auto renew on the individual users Apple ID’s, which is not what I want.

RevenueCat does offer a feature called Promotional Subscriptions (API documentation here) that you can use to grant a user a specific duration of an entitlement in RevenueCat without needing to go through any purchases or payment flows. But RevenueCat doesn’t collect money or offer any sort of promo code system, so you will have to collect that one-time payment some other way and track which employees are included in the partnership, potentially outside of the iOS app. Then you can use RevenueCat’s API to give users access to the entitlement.