Question

Is it possible to activate a subscription for free? Or pay for it on the user's behalf? (Useful for bundles with physical objects)

• 18 November 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hello!

I am evaluating whether to use RevenueCat or not into my next app, and it is my first time using a subscription model. I plan to sell a service subscription either:
- As a standalone product (through the app)
- Bundled with a physical product sold through Shopify

While the former is a common RevenueCat use case, I am not sure on how to achieve the latter. I understand that RevenueCat’s business model consists in withholding a percentage of the subscription cost encountered by the user on the app store, thus I don’t think I can simply create a new subscription for zero cost through the API (correct me if I am wrong).

If that’s the case, what if I pay for a new subscription on a user’s behalf by using the revenues from the Shopify purchase? In my specific case, the user could use the app itself for activating the subscription after the purchase, but he should be able to activate it for free (as he already paid for it). Is it thus possible for my business to pay the subscription on his behalf? Maybe the offer system grants such flexibility?

Thanks for any advice!

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey Michele!

I don’t think I can simply create a new subscription for zero cost through the API (correct me if I am wrong).

You can kind of do this actually using our promotional subscriptions API endpoint: https://www.revenuecat.com/reference/grant-a-promotional-entitlement I think that could work well here. Just note that a promotional subscription is not renewable (because it’s not a real subscription, it’s just an override of entitlement status for a specific duration of time.)