Question

Offering optional free trials / discounts for iOS subsciptions

• 14 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I recently launched a monthly and annual subscription for my app. Both don’t have a free trial, because the product already has a built in free trial (it’s a golf app, users get 5 free rounds a year and then can do either subscription to get unlimited rounds).

I’d like to offer promo codes to new users that either give them a free trial or a discount.

I built something using offer codes, but tbh offer codes are just so janky on apple’s end that the experience is pretty rough. I’d really love to use introductory offers and build something like so

1) I have my own promo code table in my backend that maps a promo code to a SKProductDiscount id
2) By default on my paywall screen I only show my products (no introductory offers)
3) Users can enter a promo code and if it’s valid, the endpoint will return the SKProductDiscount id
4) If the id matches an introductory offer of one of the products, I either update the UI or just trigger the purchase(package:discount:) call automatically

I know this flow would work with promotional offers, but is it also possible with introductory offers?

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @bogiebill!

If I understand what you’re looking to do here, I just have a couple of thoughts on your approach:

1. I’ve seen Apple reject apps in the past when developers build their own ‘code’ system that is even loosely related to in-app purchases (3.1.1) - of course, in this case you’d still be using in-app purchase, but I wanted to mention it as app rejection may be a possibility
  2. Once a user redeems an introductory offer for a subscription group, they are no longer eligible for an introductory offer - if they were to ‘redeem’ another promo code for a trial product, they wouldn’t be eligible for the trial
  3. Promotional offers are only eligible for existing or lapsed subscribers - so new subscribers wouldn’t be able to purchase with the discount

You can read more on offers here: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/ios-subscription-offers