Skip to main content

I’d like to let my new users experiment my app with all the features for X days without enforcing them to subscribe with a free trial and force them to unsubscribe if they don’t like the app. 

When the X days are over, they have to purchase a subscription in order to continue to use the application. 

Is the `first_seen_at` a reliable attribute to check in this case? Does it reset if the user remove then reinstall the application (on macOS) or does it internally use the StoreKit `originalPurchaseDate` date?

Hi @Vinc,

`first_seen_at` is the install date most of the times, if you manage to logIn your users we can then identify them correctly even if they reinstall the apps but otherwise we don’t have much information about the user. If there hasn’t been any purchase from your user in the app we can’t use `originalPurchaseDate` since it would be nil anyway.

Best,

Hi Joan,

thank you for your reply!

I only distribute my app on the App Store and don’t force my users to login (even to purchase).

The originalPurchaseDate I’m referring to is the one from Apple documentation here.
It seems the AppTransaction is related to the day the app has been downloaded. The doc says that the date doesn’t change even if the user remove and reinstall the application.

Based on what you say regarding RevenueCat, it means that RevenueCat doesn’t use these information to guess the user, right? So first_seent_at is not reliable, right?

I’ll run some test to see if the originalPurchaseDate is set even for a free application.