Solved

Google Play Subscription Changes: when will RevenueCat support the new subscription structure?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Google has just announced changes to how they handle subscriptions: https://developer.android.com/google/play/billing/compatibility and https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/12124625

While existing subscriptions will continue to work, there are new ways to create offers and even new (on Android) subscription types like prepaid.

Does RevenueCat already have a timeline how and when all of this will be supported both in SDK and dashboard?

FYI: I’m also seeing the following warning in our Play Store account - I guess RevenueCat is using the InAppProduct API: “You're using the InAppProduct API to manage subscriptions, which is no longer updated. Start using the new Subscriptions API to get new features including multiple base plans and offers, as well as prepaid plans.”

icon

Best answer by Maddie 13 May 2022, 22:12

View original

15 replies

Badge +3

It would be great if the Revenuecat team could answer this one because meanwhile, we cannot edit subscriptions (e.g. in our case we want to change the number of days of free trial).

We basically need to know when we can click on that button “Make subscriptions editable”

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey @sven  and @Juan 👋🏻  We have an email drafted outlining what you can expect from RevenueCat with respect to these latest announcements, and it should go out in the next couple days. We should have a blog post shortly after with even more details.

We don’t yet have a timeline for supporting these new features, but we are actively researching and testing them out. A couple things we can answer now:

• Don’t worry about the InAppProduct API warning, unless you’re calling that API yourself. RevenueCat does not call that API on your behalf
  • You can make your subscription editable and update the number of days of a free trial. Subscriptions have been migrated to the new system in a backwards-compatible manner. So as long as your offers have the “backwards compatible” badge in the console, RevenueCat should work as expected. It’s new features like prepaid plans and adding NEW offers to your base plans that won’t work just yet

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks for the update, @Maddie!

Hello Sven & Juan, 

Thank you for pinging us. 

We started a conversation on this thread about the Google I/O announcements. In case you have any further thoughts or questions, please comment there. 

Thank you!

Anna
PM @ RevenueCat

Badge

The documentation could highlight, that the new offers need to be changed manually to backward compatible, otherwise the app couldn’t offer the free trial for example.  (Until the new way is not supported)

The second line was not “Backward compatible” until I clicked the 3 dot and changed it. Hope it helps others who faced the same problem. 

Hello Benjamin, definitely helps, thank you so much for the feedback. 

Badge +5

I’ve just released a subscription with a free trial that was created with the new interface. I used @Benjamin Gervan’s steps to make the trial offer backwards compatible. However it seems the trial is not successfully applied to the subscription in the Android app.

Can anybody confirm that this is the case and it’s not just an issue with internal testing? The app is available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.passion.PassionClimb.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve just released a subscription with a free trial that was created with the new interface. I used @Benjamin Gervan’s steps to make the trial offer backwards compatible. However it seems the trial is not successfully applied to the subscription in the Android app.

Can anybody confirm that this is the case and it’s not just an issue with internal testing? The app is available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.passion.PassionClimb.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Hey @Thomas, is it possible the user you tried to purchase the trial with has already had a free trial? If so, they wouldn’t be eligible… 

Badge +5

Hey Maddie, you’re right. The free trial is displayed correctly on a new phone.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Glad to hear it! Let me know if you have other questions :)

Badge +5

@Maddie 
Any progress? Google released it 3 months ago, and my new feature relies on this. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey @Jacint , check out our main thread on this here: 

You can see the latest update from Jacob at the bottom. The TLDR is that unfortunately we have a lot of refactoring to do, so it may be months. We hope to ship incrementally in betas though. 

We’d love to meet with you and discuss your needs, so that we can most efficiently focus ourselves the next couple months (and in case there are other ways we can address them). Let me know if you’d be open to a quick Zoom call, or if not, maybe you can post here what your new feature is relying on?

Badge +5

Hey @Maddie , of cource I’m opened it :) !

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Jacint thank you, that’s really helpful! Feel free to grab a time at this link: https://calendly.com/revenuecat-maddie/google-new-model-interview

Badge +2

I am still getting this

Is there an update on when Revenue Cat will be updated to support this?