New event type: SUBSCRIPTION_EXTENDED

• 18 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
  • RevenueCat Staff
  • 174 replies

We have added a new event to our webhooks and customer profiles: SUBSCRIPTION_EXTENDED. This event fires when the expiration date of a subscription has moved back without a renewal. This can happen if a subscription was extended through the App Store or Play Store APIs. 

On Google Play, we also occasionally see that subscriptions that are due to renew aren’t immediately renewed but extended by 24 hours while Google attempts to complete the payment. In these cases, we will also fire a SUBSCRIPTION_EXTENDED event, followed by either a RENEWAL or BILLING_ISSUE event within 24 hours depending on whether or not the renewal charge was successful.

This new event type isn’t automatically dispatched to existing webhooks integrations, you will need to update your webhook integration to select the event.

For more details, check our docs.

6 replies

Badge +5

hey @Jens - I noticed this started coming through which was surprising, and then saw your post. Can you confirm that the new SUBSCRIPTION_EXTENDED is also being sent to integrations like Segment?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @Leon Sasson , not yet but we will add it soon.

Badge +3

“ This event fires when the expiration date of a subscription has moved back without a renewal. This can happen if a subscription was extended through the App Store or Play Store APIs. “

Can the user themselves extend out their subscription expiration date using the API or through the UI? I’ve noticed a 3 day trial being extended out by 2 weeks. We have no integration with the Play/Apple APIs so it’s not us doing it 100%. 

If so, is there any way to prevent the user from extending out trials?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Aryk Grosz , no, customers can’t extend their subscription. If you have such a case, it might be best to contact our support team (support@revenuecat.com) who can look into the case and see what might have caused this.

Badge +3

I think what might be happening is that if there is a billing issue, there is a grace period which you can set. I think what I’m seeing is the Billing Issue, followed by the expire_date being pushed out by the grace period set. Is that possible?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Aryk Grosz usually in these cases you should get a billing issue event, not a SUBSCRIPTION_EXTENDED event. Sometimes, on Google Play, you get a SUBSCRIPTION_EXTENDED first, extending the subscription by 24 hours, then a billing issue event. If you see something different, please contact the support team who can look into the concrete events.