Solved

Subscription promo code – get code used to download app

• 11 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get the promo code that was used to download an app, in the case that the code wasn’t actually used to start the subscription at that time? 

I.e. the user taps a promo code url, and they don’t have the app installed, so they are taken the App Store. The app prompts them to download the app, which they do. They are then prompted to redeem the code (and start a subscription), but they choose not to. Is it possible to get the code that was used? Ideally I’d like it to be available in RevenueCat, maybe as a user attribute.

The use case is as follows: I have someone who will be promoting my app for me, giving potential users a promo code with a discount. In the case that the user starts a subscription with their code, the subscription can be attributed to them. However, I also want to attribute the user to my promoter in the case that the user downloads the app via their promo code url, declines to initially start a subscription, but then goes on to start a subscription sometime later without using a code for a discount.

If anyone knows how to do this, or has any other thoughts or pointers, that would be great!

Joe

icon

Best answer by kaitlin 13 June 2024, 20:11

View original

This post has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey Joe,

If we’re talking about in-app purchase promo codes (just want to clarify since so many things are similarly named), then I don’t believe this would be possible unfortunately, at least from a RevenueCat angle. We’re not able to see when a promo code is used, or the specific promo code that was used - revenue for these transactions may be inaccurate as well.

Hope this helps, please let us know if we can help to troubleshoot your use case further!

Badge +1

Hey Joe,

If we’re talking about in-app purchase promo codes (just want to clarify since so many things are similarly named), then I don’t believe this would be possible unfortunately, at least from a RevenueCat angle. We’re not able to see when a promo code is used, or the specific promo code that was used - revenue for these transactions may be inaccurate as well.

Hope this helps, please let us know if we can help to troubleshoot your use case further!

Hi Kaitlin - thanks for the answer! That’s good to know.