Question

Redeeming ios promotion offer on the same subscription product

• 25 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi there, is it possible to purchase a promotional offer on the product that a user is already subscribed to using purchaseDiscountedPackage, or does the promotional offer have to be on a different product?

I tried purchasing a promotional offer on the same product in production and although it appeared to go through without any errors, my subscription did not change and I didn’t see any webhooks in RC or any email confirmation from apple. For a different product it did work as expected.

Just checking in case I am missing something.

Thanks,

Lydia

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @Lydia 

The promotional offer will go into effect at the next renewal period. The behavior that you’re seeing when claiming the offer for a different product is either an upgrade or crossgrade to a different subscription with the same duration. You can read more about when the offer period should start in Apple’s developer documentation: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/original_api_for_in-app_purchase/subscriptions_and_offers/implementing_promotional_offers_in_your_app#3150979  

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @tina,

Ok yes that makes sense. So to be clear it is possible to buy a promotional offer on the same product that the user already has?

Thanks,

Lydia