Solved

Not receiving 'TRANSFER' webhook

• 18 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hello RC Community 

This morning in production we hit our first “Restore Purchase” scenario and hit a few hicups.

We had a user sign up for a subscription, then immediately sign into another account on our app. (So two users on OUR app, using one apple ID)

They triggered the restore purchase behavior (our app is currently set to ‘Transfer Purchases’) and we did see a TRANSFER event for both of these users in the dashboard - but did NOT receive a webhook.

Looking at the RC dashboard we can see: 

• User 1 started a subscription (We got the INITAL_PURCHASE webhook successfully)
  • User 1 got a transfered event (Transfered to User 2’s ID)
  • User 1 lost all their entitlements/subscriptions
  • User 2 got all of their entitlements & subscriptions

The problem we are hitting is that we keep record of subscriptions on our end using the recommended method in the docs: to refresh a user’s data whenever we receive a webhook. BUT we didn’t receive a TRANSFER webhook for EITHER of these users, so now our data is out of sync. 

I can see the transfer event in the dashboard, but I see no integrations for this event, so it seems it didn’t even try to hit our webhook endpoint. (I can usually see events that were fired to our webhook endpoint & the status code in the integration section.) (Also I see no Braze, Amplitude, ect. integrations like I usually do)

I guess what I’m asking is:

1. Why didn’t we receive a TRANSFER webhook for either user in this scenario?

Thanks in advance

-Gabe

icon

Best answer by Gabe 3 March 2022, 21:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hey @Gabe , 

Transfer events won’t be sent into any 3rd part integration, but you should still be receiving these events in webhooks. I’m going to escalate this to a Zendesk ticket so I can get the App User Id(s) of the user.

Badge +1

Thanks @jazmine !

Let me know if you need any more info from us. Also how can I access the zendesk ticket keep track of this? Or will you update here?

Thanks again,

-Gabe

Badge +1

The resolution on this was that we actually were receiving the transfer webhook but 2 things threw our system for a loop.

1. Transfer webhook is in a different format than specified in the docs. 
  2. The transfer webhook doesn’t have an environment like the other webhooks, this caused us to skip the webhook completely. Apparently its a known issue?

You can see the format of transfer webhook, and read about the env missing stuff in this thread:
https://community.revenuecat.com/general-questions-7/question-about-webhook-transfer-type-485

Thanks @jazmine for the help on this!