Solved

Metered paywall or offering subscription after usage not time

• 25 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Apologies if this isn’t the right place for this question but I’m really struggling to evaluate whether our use case is possible.

Our desirable payment method would be to offer a subscription after the user has completed so many tasks within our app, rather than over a time period. The most common example to this is “You’ve read 4 articles this month.. now here's how you can subscribe”. 

Everything I’ve read around subscriptions seems to offer free trials based on time. 

It's our first time implementing in app purchases and we’re assessing our options. My assumption at the moment is that we can keep track of their usage and then present a non-free trial subscription after they’ve reached that threshold but I’m not sure if I’m being naive there. 

Does anyone have any experience with this approach or could kindly point me in the direction of any examples of it with Revenue Cat?

icon

Best answer by cody 7 December 2021, 20:12

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @Nizza!

This isn’t something supported out of the box, so you’ll probably need to build this logic yourself. Apple automatically applies free trials when an introductory price is setup for a product, so there’s no way to prevent that from happening apart from creating a separate product (or using promotional offers for the trial).

I’d recommend creating separate products, one with a trial and one without. You can create separate offerings as well, and display either offering based on a certain set of logic you’d like. For example, you could display an offering by default, or a different offering if someone has ‘read 4 articles’, you could display the separate offering by referring to its identifier. You can read more about displaying offerings here: https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/displaying-products