Question

Introductory offers on Apple when doing crossgrades?

• 24 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi,

We have a scenario where a user wants to do a crossgrade within the same subscription group. i.e. move from a monthly to annual subscription. However at the moment we have an introductory offer on our annual subscription where a user pays £79.99 for the first year which run until this Saturday (26th March). I have a few questions:

1. If a user initiates a crossgrade today (i.e. going to the managementUrl in Apple App Store and subscribing to the annual subscription) will the introductory offer work for them? From reading your blog online it says that they wont be charged for the crossgrade until their month is finished. However at this point the introductory offer will not be live anymore. So seen as they initiated the crossgrade today will they still get the introductory offer price?
  2. Can a user avail of an introductory offer if they crossgrade to a new product within the same subscription group? From reading online it seems they will only be eligible for an intro offer if they haven't already availed of an intro offer within that subscription group.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @Walter Holohan 

According to Apple docs on introductory periods, they will not be eligible for an introductory offer on the annual product if they are in the same subscription group. Pasting a snippet of Apple docs for reference:

Existing subscribers are not eligible for an introductory offer for any product within the same subscription group. For example, customers are not eligible if they are upgrading, downgrading, or crossgrading their subscription from another product, regardless of whether they consumed an introductory offer in the past.

For your first two questions, any upgrades, downgrades, or crossgrades to the annual product will not be considered eligible for the introductory offer. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

@tina thanks for the above info.

In order to handle the above scenario (i.e. offer a promotional offer to a user if they crossgrade to annual after they have subscribed), would it be possible to use Apple Promotional Offer feature (https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/ios-subscription-offers#promotional-offers).

Can I add a promotional offer to my annual product? And if so, if the user purchases the annual product using the offer discount will that automatically crossgrade them to the annual subscription?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @Walter Holohan 

Promotional offers would work here. Apple’s requirements are that the customer must have an existing or expired subscription in the app to be considered eligible to redeem a promotional offer. Any further requirements would be set by you, to determine which users to show the promotional offer to within the app. 

Can I add a promotional offer to my annual product? And if so, if the user purchases the annual product using the offer discount will that automatically crossgrade them to the annual subscription?

Yes you can add a promotional offer to your annual product by following the link to the docs you shared. If the user has an active subscription (monthly) and crossgrades to the annual product, the promotional offer period will go into effect at the next renewal date. Apple docs for reference on upgrading, downgrading, crossgrading logic: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/original_api_for_in-app_purchase/subscriptions_and_offers/implementing_promotional_offers_in_your_app#3150979

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Just have a few more questions:

1. Is it possible to do any sort of promotional offers on Android?
  2. Just to clarify the promotional offer approach on iOS, when a user purchases a annual product using `await Purchases.purchaseDiscountedPackage(package, paymentDiscount)` it will automatically crossgrade the user i.e. at the end of the next renewal date it will switch them from a monthly subscription to a annual subscription?