Solved

Increasing subscription prices and keep existing subscribers on old plans

• 30 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

I have an app that offers subscriptions on both the App Store and the Google Play Store. The user can subscribe to a monthly/3-month/annual plan in the app. I’m thinking about raising prices only for new subscribers, but after reading https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/price-changes and questions posted in the community, I’m still not 100% sure how to proceed, especially when it comes to Google Play.

My setup is pretty straightforward:

RC:

• Single entitlement, associated with all products, that gives “unlimited” access to the app
  • 3 products (1m/3m/1y) for the App Store
  • 3 products (1m/3m/1y) for the Google Play Store
  • 3 packages to group 1m/3m/1y products
  • Single offering that contains the 3 packages

App Store

• 1 subscription group that contains 3 subscriptions (1m/3m/1y)

Google Play Store

• 3 subscriptions (1m/3m/1y)

My questions:

1. App Store: I think the best way is create a new subscription group with new subscriptions/prices. In the iOS settings app, existing subscribers will only see the old subscription group, and can continue to enjoy the lower prices; new subscribers will only see the new subscription group and can never see or switch to the old prices. Is my understanding correct?
  2. Google Play Store: If I add new subscription prices in Google Play Console, as recommended by the official documentation, will subscribers be able to switch between old/new prices outside the app? If so, is there a recommended approach to avoid this?
icon

Best answer by Jens 31 August 2022, 16:54

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

If you raise prices, you can also do so while keeping the existing products, and existing grandfather users into their existing price (i.e., they will continue renewing at that price). This is the default behavior for both Apple and Google Play.

If you create new products, then I agree with creating a new subscription group on Apple. On Google, there is no way for customers to change their subscription plan outside of the app, so you don’t need to worry, you can just create the new plans in parallel to the old plan.