Solved

GooglePlay new Subscription API

• 14 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Dear RevenueCat,

First of all, thank you for developing and maintaining this solution. I have been users of your service in production for a few years now. It has been working great. However, recently I start seeing this error message in Google Play Console for my app. 

“You're using the InAppProduct API to manage subscriptions, which is now deprecated and will stop being supported for new apps in January 2024, and for all apps in May 2024. Start using the new Subscriptions API to get new features including multiple base plans and offers, as well as prepaid plans.”

I have some questions related to that. (For the background, I have been following the discussion about the Google Play Subscription Changes as well as went through the documentation in Google Play Product Setup) However, it is still not clear to me on whether or what kind of migration steps are required from my side. Thank you a lot for your support.

1. I do not have a need for multiple base plans and prepaid. In other words, a single base plan (like before the Google Play Subscription Changes) works fine for me moving forward. Will RevenueCat still work after May 2024 for my subscriptions? Or do I need to perform migration (product data and SDK) to the new SDK versions before that time?
  2. If the answers to the above question is yes, do you have a step-by-step documentation for performing such migration for Flutter SDK?
  3. In the beginning of this year, I have to update prices of my subscriptions to counter inflations. In order to be able to do that, I need to execute the “Making Subscriptions Editable” according to the guide. Will this still work after May 2024?

Cheers,

Jonathan Jumpy

icon

Best answer by cody 16 June 2023, 18:44

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @jonathan-jumpy! 👋

From RevenueCat’s side of things, you’re safe to make your subscriptions editable since we don’t use the InAppProducts API.

1. Your products will continue working as long as they are marked as backwards compatible in Google Play Console (happens automatically when you switch to the new Subscriptions API)
  2. It’s not yet required to update to the new SDK version just by switching to the new model (as long as it continues being marked as backwards compatible). We just released our new 5.0.0 Flutter SDK with support for the new model - you can see the API changes here: https://github.com/RevenueCat/purchases-flutter/releases/tag/5.0.0
  3. Yes - you’ll still be able to edit the prices of your products in Google Play Console directly even after those dates. Google however will require BillingClient 5 this year, so if you need to upload a new version of your app, you’ll need to update the SDK.

Google mentions:

Starting on August 2, 2023, all new apps must use Billing Library version 5 or newer. By November 1, 2023, all updates to existing apps must use Billing Library version 5 or newer. Learn more.

Our Flutter SDK v5.0.0 includes support for BillingClient 5. Let me know if that helps!

Badge +2

Dear @cody,

Thank you a lot for your prompt answers. So, my main concern is to just switch to 5.0.0 Flutter SDK for the mobile application to support Billing Library version 5 before November. No product migration required for both GooglePlay backend side as well as RevenueCat backend side. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Cheers,

Jonathan Jumpy

Badge +1

My most recent Android release was updated to the Flutter 5.0 SDK; however, Google Play is still showing the “You're using the InAppProduct API to manage subscriptions...” warning. 

Is this expected? I assumed the message would go away after updating, but perhaps I’m wrong.

Badge +1

My most recent Android release was updated to the Flutter 5.0 SDK; however, Google Play is still showing the “You're using the InAppProduct API to manage subscriptions...” warning. 

Is this expected? I assumed the message would go away after updating, but perhaps I’m wrong.

I am facing the same issue. The error message did not go away after updating to the latest SDK.  For mine, it is the native SDK.

Badge +1

I am facing the same issue. The error message did not go away after updating to the latest SDK.  For mine, it is the native SDK.

Same here, any solution?

Badge +4

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2023/06/changes-to-google-play-developer-api-june-2023.html

Start your migration to the monetization.subscriptions APIs

If you use the Google Play Developer API client libraries - available for JavaPython, and other popular languages - we recommend upgrading to the latest versions, which already include the monetization.subscriptions APIs. Base plans can be managed with the monetization.subscription.basePlans API, and introductory pricing and free trials can be managed as offers with the monetization.subscriptions.basePlans.offers API.

To use the new monetization.subscriptions APIs with existing subscriptions, make sure that you’ve made your pre-existing subscriptions editable in Play Console.

Badge +3

I have updated purchases_flutter to 5.6.0 but I’m still seeing this in Google Play Console:

You're using the InAppProduct API to manage subscriptions, which is now deprecated and will stop being supported for new apps in January 2024, and for all apps in May 2024. Start using the new Subscriptions API to get new features including multiple base plans and offers, as well as prepaid plans. Learn more

I don’t want to change anything or use any new features in my existing apps, so what exactly do I need to do in order to make the warning in Google Play Console go away?

I have thousands of existing paying users with active subscriptions on Google Play, so obviously I don’t want to mess anything up. I just want things to keep working as they are and have been for years. I use Google Play Console to manage subscriptions (basically never changing anything, only adjusting prices every few years).

Google has this warning about making subscriptions editable:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/12124625?hl=en#api_access

Important: Once you've made a subscription editable in Play Console, you will no longer be able to use the inappproducts API to read, configure, or update the subscription, and must migrate to the Monetize Subscriptions APIs to continue to manage the subscription programmatically. This change cannot be reversed.

Should I make my subscriptions editable in Google Play Console? Is that safe when using purchases_flutter 5.6.0? What about users who haven’t updated the app and are still on a version using purchases_flutter 3.8.0? Will the app stop working for them? 

Badge +4

Same here, any solution?

same here