Question

Cross platform subscription management with offers

• 25 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for providing this framework and documentation, it makes integration of subscriptions a breeze. We are using Revenue Cat - React Native SDK.

I have a scenario that I am not sure how to handle, was thinking if you can provide any suggestions.

We have a web product that uses Stripe for subscription management. The user can signup for a product and gets an introductory free trial of 1 month. Then after that 1 month they are prompted to renew, the can choose to renew by paying, or also can extend their trial by adding another offer code (promotional offer).

Lets say, the user now installs iOS app during the first the trial month (that was issued by the web platform). On the app after the month, we were planning to show them a screen to renew the subscription and show the option to enter the promo code. But having implemented this and going through the promo offer purchase flow I get the error that “The User is ineligible for that action.”. I think this has to do with the fact that we are applying a Promotional offer on a New user ( Apple considers this user new because they never got their original subscription on the iOS device). The only option I see here is to force them to buy the product. 

I was wondering if you have ideas on how to build such flows where users are subscribing initially else where and renewing on iOS and Android for the first time.

Wondering if there is a way to push to RevenueCat  when there has been an Introductory Subscription is offered  on the web via Stripe which gets pushed to both iOS and Android as a valid subscription with Introductory offer ?

Please advice. Thank you

Soleil Dev Team

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi!

In this case, you may want to use an “Offer code” instead: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/ios-subscription-offers#types-of-subscription-offers

Those can be applied to both new and existing users for iOS.

> gets pushed to both iOS and Android as a valid subscription with Introductory offer ?

unfortunately this won’t work, as you can’t make a subscription on the user’s behalf. I would either do an offer code, or an introductory offer (although that is applied to any new user).

Alternatively, we have a feature called promotionals, which you can use with your own logic to grant access to the entitlement for free. Just be aware that a user can still purchase store subscriptions while they have an RC promotional, so you wouldn’t want to show a paywall to that user until the promotional lapses.