Solved

Confused about entitlements, products and offerings for tiered feature sets

• 29 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello. I’m a bit confused about how to organize everything and was hoping to get some tips for best practices.

My app has:

• Three subscription tiers (Are these “entitlements”?)
    • Basic
    • Pro
    • Platinum
  • Two subscription types for each platform: Monthly and annually (Are these “products” ?)
    • android_basic_monthly, ios_basic_monthly
    • android_basic_annaul, ios_basic_annual
    • android_pro_monthly, ios_pro_monthly
    • ...and so on
  • Feature sets in each tier that inherit features from lower tiers (Are these “offerings”?)
    • Basic: Remove ads, custom avatar
    • Pro: All Basic features plus Feature A, Feature B, Feature C
    • Platinum: All Basic and Pro features plus Feature D and Feature E

If the feature sets for each tier are not offerings, then how are they represented in a Revenuecat payload/metada and where can I manage them on Revenuecat?

icon

Best answer by joan-cardona 1 May 2024, 19:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments

2 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I would recommend you reading and watching the video in here to master entitlements, offerings and products.

About what you shared, you are on the right track with entitlements. They represents a level of access, features, or content that a user is "entitled" to. I’m assuming you are getting more features in Platinum than in Basic.

You are also right about products, they are what the user buys and they are attached to a certain entitlement. So when a user buys  `ios_basic_monthly` they will get the basic entitlement.

Offerings though, are the selection of products that are "offered" to a user on your paywall. An offering for example would contain an annual, a monthly and a weekly products. You can use different offerings to have dynamic paywalls or to do experiments.

What features unlock every entitlement is up to the developer to do it in the app. You can always see from the SDK what entitlement/s have every user (if they have any!). You can have all the details here.

Let me know if this helps clarifying it.

Badge

Hi,

I would recommend you reading and watching the video in here to master entitlements, offerings and products.

About what you shared, you are on the right track with entitlements. They represents a level of access, features, or content that a user is "entitled" to. I’m assuming you are getting more features in Platinum than in Basic.

You are also right about products, they are what the user buys and they are attached to a certain entitlement. So when a user buys  `ios_basic_monthly` they will get the basic entitlement.

Offerings though, are the selection of products that are "offered" to a user on your paywall. An offering for example would contain an annual, a monthly and a weekly products. You can use different offerings to have dynamic paywalls or to do experiments.

What features unlock every entitlement is up to the developer to do it in the app. You can always see from the SDK what entitlement/s have every user (if they have any!). You can have all the details here.

Let me know if this helps clarifying it.

Thanks Joan. The feature I was looking for doesn’t seem to exist. I was hoping there would be a way to define and store features, and then add them to tiers. If that existed, then Revenuecat could be used for the source of truth for all subscription-related information. 

For example:

All features

feature_a

feature_b

feature_c

feature_d

Tier 1 Features

feature_a

feature_b

Tier 2 Features

tier_1_features

feature_c

feature_d

And then when creating an Entitlement, you could assign features:

Example

I think it would be very convenient because developers wouldn’t have to maintain a list of features anywhere, and features could be tied in with Revenuecat’s existing analytics dashboard. We could even include features when creating Offerings UIs on Revenuecat.