Question

The more subscriptions the less you pay

• 3 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello everyone,

How would I set up a discount depending on how many subscriptions my user has at a given time? Or is there some kind of group/package/bundle that they can upgrade to, grouping multiple subscriptions in one?

I must say I am very confused with the language used by RevenueCat as far as entitlements, productsofferings, and packages are concerned. But maybe that’s just because English isn’t my first language.

At any rate, any help would be very appreciated :)

Thank you

This post has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @timb,

We really want our documentation to be clear, sorry about that! We have gotten feedback that we can make our terminology clearer, I’ll add your feedback to the list.

In your case I recommend one of two options:

1. You can create duplicate subscription products at different prices and show them to the user depending on what subscriptions they already purchased in RevenueCat. That way you can show discounted subscriptions to users who have multiple subscriptions. The downside to this is that, if the subscriber subscribes to multiple products, getting the discount, and then cancels some subscriptions, they will still be subscribed to the discounted products.
  2. You can create subscription products that provide access to the features or services that other subscription products individually provide access to. For example, if Subscription A gives access to Feature A and Subscription B gives access to Feature B, you can create Subscription X that gives access to both Feature A and Feature B but at a lower price than purchasing both Subscription A and Subscription B. You can put these all in the same subscription group and put Subscription X in a higher tier than A and B so that the user can easily upgrade and downgrade between the different products. This is the way I recommend doing it but it can be a little more work since you have to pay attention to which features belong to which subscription. You can learn more about subscription groups here: https://www.revenuecat.com/blog/engineering/ios-subscription-groups-explained/ and here: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/getting-started/entitlements/ios-products#subscription-groups

To simplify the RevenueCat terminology:

1. You can think of entitlements or features that a customer pays for in your app.
  2. Offerings are basically paywalls, basically what products your are offering to the customer to purchase.
  3. Packages are the products in the offerings. Packages can group cross platform products to make your paywalls easier to handle.
  4. Products are the actual products you configure with Apple/Google/Amazon/Stripe. These products contain the terms of payment (auto-renewable subscription, one-time purchase, etc.)

I am simplifying greatly here, the various features of RevenueCat are used in more cases than what I described above, but that should help you get started. Please let me know if you have any other questions.