Question

Unable to resolve host "api.revenuecat.com": No address associated with hostname Code: 10

• 15 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Lately, I’ve been getting more messages from users where fetching offers from RC does not work.

They are getting the error (on Android):
Unable to resolve host "api.revenuecat.com": No address associated with hostname
Code: 10(Error performing request.).

Is this ALWAYS related to the user’s devices or network?

What the best way to help users getting this error?

Cheers,
Chris

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey @Chris1,

I do believe this is always due to some network issue on the device. The device simply can’t reach our API for some reason. I would go through standard network troubleshooting steps:

1. Try a different Wifi network or cellular
  2. Try rebooting the device
  3. Check the DNS settings of the device
  4. Turn off any VPNs and ad blockers (RevenueCat does sometimes get incorrectly included in some ad block lists)
Badge +4

Thanks @sharif - got it.

In these cases, what would be great is a kind of fallback option. For example, an alternative domain / IP or a direct connection with a fallback product from the App Store / Play Store.

I think it’s most probably a vpn, ad blocker or something else. Users most probably have internet access and I don’t think many of them will go through the steps of turning off VPN, ad blockers or even go through DNS settings.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Chris1 we totally hear you! We’re frequently in communication with various ad blockers because we’re aware that RevenueCat sometimes gets swept up in those lists and we try to make the SDK work as smoothly as possible without a network connection. It can be difficult to resolve these issues but (assuming the issue is actually due to user action) users who have ad blockers/VPNs/custom DNS settings tend to know how to turn them off. That only covers one category of user though, there are also others who have spotty internet connections, firewalled connections like school networks, are running older Android versions that don’t have the proper TLS libraries to support modern APIs, etc. We always want to make these cases easier though so if you have any specific cases send them our way and we’ll take a look.