Question

Trial End Date/Trial Conversion Date Mismatch

• 15 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

We recently had a user who started their 14 day free trial on March 31.

We got a webhook from revenueCat for this initial purchase with an expiration date of April 14 at 06:13GMT. We use this expiration date as the trial end date / next renewal date.

The user’s customer profile lists that their trial converts on April 15th and we haven’t yet received another webhook for this user (which makes sense because it is not the 15th yet).

Why is there a discrepency between the expiration date in the webhook and the trial conversion date?

These types of errors end up with users who don’t have access to an app that they paid for and are very rightfully upset as a result.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey Jordan,

This is a little unusual to see. My first guess would be that the expiration date is coming straight from Google and that you may be experiencing some timezone confusion. Our dashboard is in UTC though, which is what’s unusual, because I would also expect the dashboard to show April 14 for the expiration date. To narrow down the problem, are you able to make a request to our API directly to see what the exact expiration date is in RevenueCat? That’s the authoritative expiration date in RevenueCat, so if the API shows April 14, then the issue is in the dashboard - otherwise, the issue is somewhere else. We can also dig into a specific customer history. If you’re not comfortable sharing their app user ID here for privacy reasons, I’ll open a ticket in our support queue and we’ll continue over email. Let me know if you have any questions!

Badge +2

I would like to open a ticket. I don’t think there was a timezone misunderstanding. I converted the expiration date in the webhook to UTC time and, as you said, the expiration date on the customer profile should also be in UTC. At this point I can’t use the API to check because the renewall date (April 15th) has already come and gone and so the renewal did come through. Also, like you said, I don’t feel comfortable sharing the app user ID here. I look forward to your email.

Badge +2

@sharif I have not yet received an email about a support ticket being opened. I don’t want this to sit any longer.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey Jordan,

Sorry about that! I just sent over a reply via our support ticketing system, let’s continue there.