Question

"The device or user is not allowed to make ... " error

• 28 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I have an Android app in production (Play Store only) and I have no idea what the issue is. One of my users messaged me that the offerings does not show up and the Toast shows the message above. (I don’t have a stacktrace right now, because Crashlytics does not de-obfuscate properly.)

I’ve checked similar issues around here, but most issues revolve either around Amazon Store or Emulators, so the issue is not fitting.

One similar comment was this:

This only happens with some users (some of them have already subscribed).

Can anyone help me how to solve this or to get more info about this? I don’t know how many users are experiencing this issue either

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @andrisdev!

I took a look at when we return this error in the SDK, and it looks like we send this error when the Play Store returns a `FEATURE_NOT_SUPPORTED` error: https://developer.android.com/reference/com/android/billingclient/api/BillingClient.BillingResponseCode#FEATURE_NOT_SUPPORTED

It sounds like the Play Store might be out of date. Can you confirm the user isn’t restricted from making purchases on their device, and that they have the latest version of the Play Store installed?

Badge +2

Hi @cody , thanks for your reply.

The user with this issue downloaded the app from the Play Store, has a working account, tried logging in and out as well. He also says that there are no updates available for his device (OnePlus 7 Pro, Android 12). He is accessing Play Store from India. If any of that matters.

In the meanwhile I have also received a review claiming purchases does not work.

It sounds like the Play Store might be out of date. Can you confirm the user isn’t restricted from making purchases on their device, and that they have the latest version of the Play Store installed?

Isn’t Play Store enforcing its own updates? Can we claim that if the user does not see updates in the Play Store or in their settings screen, that he has the latest versions available and this error should not happen?

Is there anything else I can ask the users to troubleshoot this issue? 

Badge +3

I’m having a user send us this same error message as well from our production Android app.

@andrisdev did you ever figure this out?

Badge +2

@UT-Developers I never did. In the end it did not matter much, as the users weren't willing to pay for the app anyway. Got fed up with the entire Android ecosystem. Removed the payment from the app.