Question

Same store ID, different App User ID

• 19 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

So we just got an e-mail from a client that states he has a subscription in our app, but when I look into our database, and in RevenueCat, this user does not.

However, his wife, who didn’t purchase a subscription, does have a subscription now, both in our database and in RevenueCat.

It turns out, that they both have an own Android device, but they share the same PlayStore account.

When this person wants to purchase a new subscription, he gets the error message “you already have a subscription”. Which makes sense, as the subscription is tight to the Play Store account.

However, I would expect that in this case either:

• his wife gets the entitlements removed, and he gains it
  • or, they now both have the entitlements

How could it happen that his wife has a subscription?

And how can I make sure he gets the subscription, and his wife not?

And, even better, is it even possible to give them both a subscription, using the same Play Store account?

Thank you!

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

How could it happen that his wife has a subscription?

Are users identified by logging in with custom ids in your app? Could they have been logged into their wife's account at the time of the purchase?

And how can I make sure he gets the subscription, and his wife not?

He should be able to restore while on his device, which should cause the entitlements to be transferred to his User ID when he restores. You can learn about restore behavior here.

And, even better, is it even possible to give them both a subscription, using the same Play Store account?

It is possible in different ways depending on how they are being identified in your app. If they are logging in with the same custom user id, they should both have the same entitlements.