Question

Implement Subscritions Bundle

• 1 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I know this question has been asked sometimes, but I could not find definitive answers. I have three apps on the App Store, having auto-renewable subscriptions. I would like to create a subscription bundle, where user can purchase the subscription bundle from any of the three apps. Obviously, the user should get access to all three apps once the purchase is successful. 

Here is the link from Apple, describing what I’d like to do: 
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/in-app_purchase/original_api_for_in-app_purchase/subscriptions_and_offers/offering_a_subscription_across_multiple_apps

Is there a way to implement this “easily” in RevenueCat?

I once read that I would need to have my apps in one single RC project. At the moment, the three apps belong to three different projects. If this is the way to go, could someone give more details on this implementation (I cannot find it in the docs):

1. If the apps are in the same project, will the user get assigned the same userID across the three apps?
  2. Can I access the entitlements belonging to one app, from the other apps?
  3. How do I move my existing (and running) apps in the same project?
  4. Will this disrupt the existing in-app purchases flow?

Thanks in advance for your help!

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey @SalvoReeflex !

To share subscriptions between apps in RevenueCat the subscriptions would all need to part of the same apps in the same project. Apps within the same Project share the same App User ID namespace, meaning all the apps can "share" purchases and subscription status. In other words, the subscription status is tied to the same App User ID regardless of which app it's set in. So the User ID’s and the subscriptions will be shared in this case. 

Note: It's okay to add many Apps on the same platform under one Project. For example if you have a suite of productivity apps on iOS that share a common subscription you can add them under the same Project in RevenueCat. However, if you have multiple iOS apps that all function independently and don't plan to have a shared subscription you should add them each under different Projects.

More information on this can be found here: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/projects

1. If the apps are in the same project, will the user get assigned the same userID across the three apps?

Correct, that name space will be shared.

1. Can I access the entitlements belonging to one app, from the other apps?

The entitlements unlocked are linked to that app user ID, so if that user ID has a subscription those entitlements would unlock across all of the apps where that entitlement identifier is used.

1. How do I move my existing (and running) apps in the same project?

We can help you with a project transfer, but you would need to create a ticket and work through that process with us. There is currently not a way to do it on the dashboard. You can also transfer ownership of your project by changing the email of your account in your settings here: https://app.revenuecat.com/settings/account

Note: You can't change your email address to a RevenueCat account that already exists. The other account will need to change their email address to something else first, then you can change to the intended email address.

1. Will this disrupt the existing in-app purchases flow?

This might depending on how the project is set up, I recommend creating a ticket so we can look more into it! 

Let me know if that helps!

Badge

Hi Micheal,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It is more clear now. I already contacted the RC support for migrating the apps in the same project. 

Just one last clarification: what does it mean the apps share the same namespace? In my understanding, to share subscriptions between apps, I would need to implement some sort of authentication system so that a unique custom ID is assigned to the user. Is this correct?

Looking forward to start this process with you guys! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey @SalvoReeflex,

Correct, if your app user ID’s are same between multiple apps then the entitlements will b e unlocked in all of those apps where this is true and they are in the same RevenueCat project. 

Badge +3

Hey! How would one go about doing this for creating a bundle between two existing apps, which are managed by RevenueCat as separate projects already? What would be a viable strategy to keep existing individual plans and add a higher level tier that is able to provide service for both products?