Are there any plans for an official Capacitor plugin?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m using Ionic with Capacitor.

The RevenueCat documentation recommends using a cordova plugin, but Ionic has been in the process of migrating away from Capacitor for the past few years, and this is now the only Cordova plugin in my app.

There’s already a capacitor plugin on github but I was wondering if there are any plans to release an official Capacitor plugin as well.

34 replies

Badge +4

I’m using Ionic with Capacitor.

The RevenueCat documentation recommends using a cordova plugin, but Ionic has been in the process of migrating away from Capacitor for the past few years, and this is now the only Cordova plugin in my app.

There’s already a capacitor plugin on github but I was wondering if there are any plans to release an official Capacitor plugin as well.

We are in the exact same situation. We have migrated all of our cordova plugins to their capacitor equivalents, and now only the RevenueCat plugin is left as cordova in our app.

As can be seen in the Capacitor vs Cordova comparison here, cordova is dying and Capacitor already took its place with more than 5 times the downloads on npm.

That would be great if Revenuecat launches an official Capacitor plugin as well.

Badge

Another vote for an official Capacitor plugin.

The biggest issue I have with the Cordova plugin is that I can’t use the latest version until https://github.com/danielsogl/awesome-cordova-plugins/blob/master/src/%40awesome-cordova-plugins/plugins/purchases/index.ts is updated to use the new version.

Apparently the process for updating that file is to wait until a RevenueCat (RC) customer questions RC why the version is old, then RC makes a pull request to update it, then sometime in the future it is updated and can be used in Ionic.

I’m on my third cycle of this now and since my app is stuck on “getOfferings hangs”, which has been a problem for over a year in RC, I can’t even get the latest versions to see if those will help because of how they are pegged to a third party version.

Badge +5

A capacitor v3/4 plugin would be great.

@Jeff Johnson, it sounds like you’re using the Ionic Native / Awesome Plugins wrapper. If you’re on capacitor, you may find it easier to just use the `cordova-plugin-purchases` npm library directly. 

For example, I’m using it in an Ionic 5 / Angular 12 / Cap 4 project, and just `declare var Purchases;` at the top of my RevenueCat service, and then get direct access to its methods, like `Purchases.setup(RevCatAPIKey, user.id)` and `Purchases.purchasePackage`;  

Badge +4

Any update on this @Jacob Eiting ? At least some info would be nice to know if there is or isn’t any plans for an official Capacitor plugin so that we can plan accordingly. 

The guy who maintains this plugin seems to be doing a good job: https://github.com/Cap-go/capacitor-purchases

Maybe sth can be arranged to turn his Cap. plugin into an official RC plugin? That way we would feel safer to know that it is being overlooked by the official RC team.

Thanks.

Badge +6

Would love to see this too! :) 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hey @programador, I’m Martin, the maker of capacitor-purchases.

I have been contacted by@Andy from RevenueCat, and the plugin will be transferred to their org soon :)

I’m happy to let them maintain it, and integrate it into their doc.

We just need a bit of time to proceed with this change!

Until then, you can use my version, outside the name, nothing should change since I have used the same approach as they do for all of their plugins.

Hope you many subcriptions 🤘

Badge +4

Hey @programador, I’m Martin, the maker of capacitor-purchases.

I have been contacted by@Andy from RevenueCat, and the plugin will be transferred to their org soon :)

Until then, you can use my version, outside the name, nothing should change since I have used the same approach as they do for all of their plugins.

Wow great news! Thanks for your hard work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hey folks! Just here to also confirm @Martin Donadieu’s words. I’m personally really excited about this, and looking forward to having better support for Capacitor! Stay tuned for the official announcement, and feel free to use capacitor-purchases in the meantime. 

Badge

Hey @programador, I’m Martin, the maker of capacitor-purchases.

Love to read about this! i’m considering implementing Revenuecat into my app for over a year now, but still hesitant because there is no “safe path” for adding Revenuecat into my capacitor (vue3) project. Looking forward to any updates on this transition.

Badge +6

This is great news that there is soon to be an official Capacitor plugin!!! I am currently using the Cordova plugin and rather not be 😀

It looks like the Capacitor plugin is still using v5 of RevenueCat’s Android SDK. I am assuming there are plans to upgrade it to v6 so we get support for Android’s BillingClient 5 before November 1 when Google is requiring all apps to be on BillingClient 5 or greater?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Yes! We do plan on updating to the latest version of our Android SDK soon, and well before the Nov 1st deadline. Stay tuned! 

are there any updates regarding the new supported version for capacitor?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hey folks, we’re currently working on it! I don’t have any updates to share just yet, but will probably have something by end of week or next week. 

Badge +2

That’s amazing news! Great work. I have seen you already migrated the git repo to https://github.com/RevenueCat/purchases-capacitor will you change the NPM install path as well, or will it stay @capgo/capacitor-purchases ? 

Badge

+1 For this! Looking forward to seeing the supported version. 

Badge +3

@Andy Any update yet? Sorry for being so ‘pushy’ but have to update RevenueCat to the latest version since a few weeks already and if this would be released very soon I would definitely wait for it to save time and having to change the code multiple times.

Thank you in advance! :-)

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

We’re almost ready to ship! You can follow the progress over at https://github.com/RevenueCat/purchases-capacitor/pull/96

We’ll hopefully be able to ship it very soon

Badge +3

@Andy Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

Badge +2

I’ve recently released an app on the Apple app store. I used Vue.js and Capacitor to make it. I’m about to add a paid subscription feature to it, and was looking into ways of doing it. I saw the capacitor-purchases plugin and was going to use it. Should I wait until the changeover is complete before I start developing? I’m not in any big rush.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi everyone! We have released the first beta of the capacitor plugin! https://www.npmjs.com/package/@revenuecat/purchases-capacitor. Please check it out and let us know if you run into any issues or feedback. We will finish the public documentation soon, so it's easier to implement.

Badge +3

@toni-rico Awesome news, thank you so much for all your efforts.

@toni-rico thank you so much!! can you ping us when the public documentation is ready. thanks in advance 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @bebofit and all! The docs for the Capacitor plugin have been published: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/ionic. Please take a look and let us know if you run into any issues!

Badge +3

@toni-rico So awesome, thank you very much!

@toni-rico Does this capacitor plugin work with capacitor 4.x? Do you have a version that supports capacitor 4?