Solved

allowSharingAppStoreAccount deprecated -> Configure in dashboard... but where?

• 21 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi, 

I’m new to RevenueCat and I’m in the process of refactoring a piece of code using the ‘allowSharingAppStoreAccount’ function. 

The documentation says:

allowSharingAppStoreAccount

DEPRECATED

Configure behavior through the RevenueCat dashboard instead.

I’ve looked everywhere in the dashboard, but can’t find any setting that would seem to relate to this?

Also, I’m unsure exactly what this function does: is it for instance in case someone creates several accounts in the app with, say, different email addresses, but has a single App Store account?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help!

icon

Best answer by ryan 21 July 2021, 23:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey @Sofia CHEVROLAT 👋

Sorry for the confusion there! This setting has been moved to a server-side configuration we’ve labeled “Restore Behavior” under your app settings.

If you select your app from the dropdown in the dashboard, click on the “Settings” pane, you should see this configuration right below your API key.

More info: https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/restoring-purchases

EDIT:

Sorry I didn’t see the second part of that question:

Also, I’m unsure exactly what this function does: is it for instance in case someone creates several accounts in the app with, say, different email addresses, but has a single App Store account?

Correct! If someone purchased from multiple accounts within your app, but they shared the same App Store account, RevenueCat would merge the App User IDs together (alias) and treat them as the same customer going forward.

Turns out, a lot of developers didn’t prefer this behavior, so we introduced this new server-side configuration to give you more flexibility over how these are handled.

With “Transfer purchases” (the new default), if one of your app accounts tries to restore or purchase and the App Store account is already in use by another one of your subscribers, the subscription status will be transferred over to the latest account. This still allows your customers to restore purchases if they forget their account in your app, but doesn’t allow people to share their subscription as easily with other accounts to give them free access.

Badge +2

Thank you so much @ryan ! 

So, if allowSharingAppStoreAccount was set to true, I should now set it to “Transfer purchases”, correct?

Could you explain to me what this actually does? Is the example I gave correct?

Thanks again!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Sofia CHEVROLAT I edited my original answer above to provide more info!

Badge +2

@ryan Thanks again Ryan!