Solved

Add originalTransactionID to CustomerInfo?

• 10 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Currently in CustomerInfo, there are properties like originalPurchaseDate and originalApplicationVersion for grandfathering users but I found originalTransactionID missing. originalTransactionID was useful to identify Spam users with shared Apple ID accounts. Is it possible for RevenueCat to expose this property so that we don’t need to add a duplicate logic to decode the App Store receipt?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by MarcosC 13 July 2022, 20:16

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @jakehao 

Do I understand correctly that your goal having the original_transaction_id is to prevent having multiple users sharing the same Apple ID account? If that’s the case, wouldn’t this help https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/restoring-purchases#restore-behavior to prevent sharing the apple ID across multiple users?

If not, would you mind sharing what you plan to do with the original_transaction_id?

Badge +3

Hi @MarcosC , thanks for the response.

Let me explain my scenario, my App uses anonymous Revenue App User IDs because it doesn’t have its own account system. So Transfer purchases is the only option for us. Also, I don’t want to forbid user to use both iPhone and iPad.

You are correct that I want to prevent multiple users sharing same Apple account, because for non-consumerable product (usually lifetime purchase), some users buy shared account from a spammer, restore the purchase and login to their own accounts, leaving a valid IAP receipt in their device. In such case, I would like to use original_transaction_id to identify these shared accounts. The anonymous Revenue App User IDs won’t work because it doesn’t accurately identify the ownership and may subject to refresh once re-install App if I understand correctly. Potentially I can use original_purchase_time for the same purpose but original_transaction_id will be more accurate.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @jakehao , thanks for the detailed answer.

I’ve shared the feedback to the corresponding team, but I don’t have an ETA. 

In the meantime, could you accomplish the same with the TRANSFER webhook event? (https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/webhooks#webhook-events)

Badge +3

@MarcosC Thanks! The webhook looks promising because it contains original_transaction_id if I understand correctly, I’ll look into implementing that. Also thanks for getting back to the team and looking forward to the reply from the team.