Apple’s AdServices attribution framework for Apple Search Ads (ASA) is now supported!

• 11 August 2022
  • 7 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

We’re happy to announce that RevenueCat now supports Apple’s AdServices attribution framework for Apple Search Ads (ASA).

You can now view AdServices ASA attribution data within RevenueCat Charts. You can unlock insights to drive more profitable growth for your app by:

• Filtering and segmenting RevenueCat charts by Apple Search Ads campaigns or ad groups

• Following your campaign's install base over time to understand the long-tail revenue generated from subscriptions

We previously only supported Apple’s deprecated iAd attribution framework. While iAd gave in-depth attribution information you can only receive this data if users opted in through Ad-Tracking Transparency (ATT). The current AdServices framework is more focused on privacy and while it gives less individual depth on attribution data, you no longer require an ATT opt-in from the user, increasing the breadth of data you’ll collect.

This integration is available starting in these SDK versions:

We hope this helps you to drive efficient growth for your app.  Explore the docs here to configure the integration.

7 replies

Badge +2

2 cents here: 
1 - We could only make things work when we used API Manager role for the user, not read only, without manager role Apple kept telling us that public key is not valid. Safari. Not an incognito mode. 
2 - May be there is way to use same key and API client for several apps? These are promoted under the same account in ASA, and getting more Apple IDs to match each app takes significant time unfortunately. 

Hello Abra, 

Thank you so much for your note and apologises for the delay. 

1. We are looking into your first point, it’s a behaviour we haven’t seen before. We will try to reach out to Apple to better understand it. Thank you for raising it!

2. There is a way indeed: 

You can create 1 maximum public/private key pair for an RC developer that can be used for 1 to many apps which I believe supports your use cases of having multiple apps. 

I hope this helps, please reach back out if there is anything else that we can do to help. 

Have a great weekend, 

Anna

Badge

Hi,  When will this feature be available for Unity?

Badge +5

Hi @AnnaToro , Hello, we are working on apple search ads attribution and revenuecat integration. I can't create new api key in apple search ads. When I am on the "Search Ads" > "API" page, there is NO 'Create Certificate' button or something else ( I'm the admin and used safari). Is there any other method?.

And i got email from Apple:

Please note that new API certificate creation is no longer supported. Apple Search Ads now uses OAuth 2.0 to authenticate API requests.

To access the Campaign Management API within your own organization, you’ll need to create or designate an API user:

- Have an account admin sign in to your Apple Search Ads account.
- Go to the User Management tab within Account Settings.
- Edit or invite a new user and assign them one of the following roles: API Account Manager, API Read Only, or Limited Access API Read & Write or API Read Only.
- After your API user is set up, have them sign in to your Apple Search Ads account and go to the API tab within Account Settings.
- On the API page, they can create a client by following the steps outlined in the API documentation https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple_search_ads. For additional details on making calls against the API, refer to the documentation.

Note that if a user’s role changes from an API user to a non-API user, their API access will be revoked. In addition, API access for users associated with the deleted user will also be revoked.

Badge +2

Hi @AnnaToro , Hello, we are working on apple search ads attribution and revenuecat integration. I can't create new api key in apple search ads. When I am on the "Search Ads" > "API" page, there is NO 'Create Certificate' button or something else ( I'm the admin and used safari). Is there any other method?.

And i got email from Apple:

Please note that new API certificate creation is no longer supported. Apple Search Ads now uses OAuth 2.0 to authenticate API requests.

To access the Campaign Management API within your own organization, you’ll need to create or designate an API user:

- Have an account admin sign in to your Apple Search Ads account.
- Go to the User Management tab within Account Settings.
- Edit or invite a new user and assign them one of the following roles: API Account Manager, API Read Only, or Limited Access API Read & Write or API Read Only.
- After your API user is set up, have them sign in to your Apple Search Ads account and go to the API tab within Account Settings.
- On the API page, they can create a client by following the steps outlined in the API documentation https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple_search_ads. For additional details on making calls against the API, refer to the documentation.

Note that if a user’s role changes from an API user to a non-API user, their API access will be revoked. In addition, API access for users associated with the deleted user will also be revoked.

@AnnaToro 

I upgraded to Pro just to find out that it’s not possible to setup SearchAds integration. WTF?!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @Evgeny Cherpak and @ALP KIZILTAN,

I just went through the setup process and was able to successfully enable the Search Ads integration as our docs detail: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/apple-search-ads

It’s important to note that you’ll need to create a different Apple ID to be used solely as an API user.

Finally, once you’ve added a separate Apple ID as an API user, you can log into that account instead and add the Public Key from the RevenueCat dashboard (the ASA integration settings) into the Search Ads dashboard (Settings → API).

Let me know if that helps! If not, can you send a screenshot of what you’re seeing in the Search Ads dashboard that’s preventing you from setting up an API user and adding the public key?

Badge +2

OK!

I figured what I was doing wrong. Lets say I created API Account Manager with b@gmail.com, in my main account a@gmail.com. After logging using the new user I created (b@gmail.com), I need to select the main account (a@gmail.com) and open it’s settings, then I'm able to paste the public key. If I open the settings of b@gmail.com account - I won't have that option.