Question

subscriber.original_purchase_date is incorrect

• 23 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I would like to track on my server when each user first subscribed. I hit the /subscriptions endpoint and check `subscriber.original_purchase_date`, but it is set to some date in 2013 (I only started implementing IAPs in the past couple of weeks). The property under `subscriptions.<product>.original_purchase_date` seems correct, but I would prefer not to have to check every product in that `subscriptions` dictionary for the earliest date, especially not knowing right now which products I will want to add later, and which of those I will count as subscriptions.

What is the purpose of `subscriber.original_purchase_date` and why is it set so early? Is it an artifact of Sandbox testing? A bug?

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @Ben Packard!

The original_purchase_date property of a subscriber is an iOS-only property indicating the date that they first downloaded the app from the App Store. In sandbox, Apple sets this date to a date in 2013, and they also set the original_application_version property to 1.0. In production, these dates will be the actual values that applied when the customer actually downloaded the app.

If you’re looking to keep track of when a user’s specific subscription started, you should use the property in subscriptions.<product>.original_purchase_date like you mentioned.