Solved

Is it possible for new users to get a Free trial (1 week) -> Discount (6 months) -> Regular price

• 1 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

We have an Android and IOS app with a “Pro” subscription product with a monthly and a yearly billing cycle.

• For now, I’ll talk through the IOS setup:
    • We have a Subscription Group called Pro and within it, we have the Subscription Products Monthly and Yearly
    • We have currently configured an introductory offer for Monthly: 1 week free trial
    • Say we also want to configure a 50% discount for Monthly, so:
      • New user gets a 1 week free trial
      • Then 50% discount for 6 months
      • Then regular price

According to Apple docs, it sounds like this this isn’t possible:

Although you can create an introductory offer for each subscription product in App Store Connect, each person is only eligible to redeem one introductory offer per subscription group.

and

App Store Connect allows you to set an introductory offer for each subscription product in App Store Connect. You can have multiple offers in each subscription group. New and returning customers are only eligible to use one introductory offer per subscription group. For example, if a customer uses a free trial and then upgrades to a subscription product in the same group that also has a free trial, they aren't eligible for the second offer.

However, based on a previous forum post (from a year ago):

The RevenueCat SDK will only return one introductory price - first the free trial, and after that’s redeemed, the introductory price

It sounds like this is possible. Am I misunderstanding things? Additionally, what’s the best/most recommended way to go about this?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by cody 3 May 2023, 17:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @Rafael Nicdao! 👋

I think the confusion with the other post you referenced is more related to a difference between Google and iOS offers, but I totally understand the goal here with multiple offers.

Since iOS only allows one intro offer, I think the best way to go about this would be to first apply a trial intro offer to the product. This would convert to the normal price after the end of the trial.

I’d then add a promotional offer to your product (discounted 6 months, pay as you go), and only give the promotional offer to customers who have previously subscribed. It would effectively only work for customers who have churned, but would be a way to give them a discount when resubscribing: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/ios-subscription-offers#promotional-offers

Badge +1

Hey Cody,

I think the confusion with the other post you referenced is more related to a difference between Google and iOS offers, but I totally understand the goal here with multiple offers.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding promotional offers. I believe, additional to churned users, we can use it as a retention tool for existing users as well?

Badge +4

Hey @Rafael Nicdao! 👋

Since iOS only allows one intro offer, I think the best way to go about this would be to first apply a trial intro offer to the product. This would convert to the normal price after the end of the trial.

I’d then add a promotional offer to your product (discounted 6 months, pay as you go), and only give the promotional offer to customers who have previously subscribed. It would effectively only work for customers who have churned, but would be a way to give them a discount when resubscribing: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/ios-subscription-offers#promotional-offers

Hey @cody, I am having the same issue as @Rafael Nicdao, trying to offer my new customers a trial period and afterwards a reduced priced. Just to confirm, you recommend:

1. I should give the user the trial period via the “Introductory offer”
  2. The user uses the trial period
  3. The user should cancel the subscription
  4. I offer the user a “Promotional offer” with the reduced monthly price
  5. The user subscribes again

Did I understand this correct? If not, is there any more convenient option?

Regards

Jonas