Question

How does charging user work if they upgrade/downgrade mid subscription?

• 8 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

If a user is half way through a ‘Plan A’ which cost £5pm - then they upgrade to ‘Plan B’ which is £10 per month - how does this work with billing?

I would like to know so I can explain to customers what will happen? In the app it just says ‘Starting today £10’ etc.. but is whats left of their £5 plan knocked off? or refunded?

If somebody could clarify his it would really help gert my head around it - so I can explain to users etc

This post has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi! Because upgrades/downgrades are handled differently by each store, the flow of what happens can depend on the store, as well as which proration mode you choose for the upgrade/downgrade in the case of the Google Play Store. Here is our documentation that explains how each store can handle them. For example, if we take your proposed scenario of a user in Apple’s App Store upgrading from Plan A to Plan B, the user would be upgraded immediately and receive a refund of the prorated amount of their original subscription. I am happy to explain how this scenario would play out if you let me know which proration mode that you are using for the Google Play Store.