Question

How do you structure offerings and packages if you have two Tiers (e.g. basic and pro)?

• 28 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I don’t think I’ve been able to find a clear answer to this so I thought I’d try asking here.

Simple scenario: I have monthly and annual subscriptions for a Basic tier and a Pro tier. I want to present both tiers to the user at the same time so they can choose whether they want basic or pro.

When I tried this with a single offering, I found that when I pull in all 4 packages then I can’t really separate them by tiers because I don’t really know which is which.

So I was thinking of having two offerings instead, one for Basic tier and one for Pro, each would have 2 packages (for monthly and annual). Would that be an acceptable practice to go about?

Thanks.

This post has been closed for comments

3 replies

Badge

It would help if offerings.current.availablePackages[].product displayed which entitlement the product belonged to, that way at least I can do some manual filtering to show the packages based on the entitlement.

But otherwise I’m forced to use 2 different offerings, one for each entitlement. Which in itself isn’t that bad, but then we are losing out on using experiments.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi, rather than having two offerings, I would recommend reflecting this in the product names. Such as doing monthly.basic, monthly.pro, annual.basic, annual.pro – this approach tends to work well for most developers. 

Badge

Hi, rather than having two offerings, I would recommend reflecting this in the product names. Such as doing monthly.basic, monthly.pro, annual.basic, annual.pro – this approach tends to work well for most developers. 

Hi @Haley Pace , I have considered that but it seems a little bit too hacky.  Moreover, what you’re suggesting is not entirely possible because automatically-generated package identifiers cannot be duplicated for the same duration, i.e. if I create one Monthly  (generated $rc_monthly) then I cannot have another  Monthly. So I’m forced to use Custom package identifiers.

I feel like support for having multiple tiers and entitlements is an after thought when it comes to structuring them properly and makes it very cumbersome.