Question

How do I add Maestro payment options to in-app purchases?

• 28 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hey boys and girls! 

I’m quite new to app development and just launched my first app on the app stores with the help of Revenuecat for offering in-app purchases. 

I’m located in the Netherlands and noticed that Maestro cards (debit cards) are not available for the in-app purchase, does anyone know why so and how I’m able to fix it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Hope someone can help me.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hey @Bart

According to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201239

In Italy, you can use your iPhone and Apple Watch to make Apple Pay purchases in stores with your Maestro card. Maestro cards can't be used within apps and on the web. In the Netherlands, you can add Maestro cards to all compatible devices except Mac.

This makes it sound like in the Netherlands you can:

1. Add a Maestro card to Apple Pay
  2. But… you can’t use it within apps or on the web

But it’s kind of unclear because I’m not sure where “Maestro cards can't be used within apps and on the web” applies. But odds are its just not accept for in-app purchases.

Have you tried using those forms of payments on in-app purchases in other apps? Are they available as options there? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hey @Bart!

I just talked to our new product manager who lives in The Netherlands right now and I got an answer from her about this. She also seemed to understand exactly what you are experiencing 😅

It is not possible to use a Maestro card for in-app purchases / subscriptions. That is a limitation of a Maestro card and not something that RevenueCat has any control over. What you can do is use a Maestro card to add to an Apple ID balance and use that balance for in-app purchases.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks!