Question

Grant subscription entitlment without renewing it

• 20 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

Hi there.

I offer yearly renewing subscription to my users.

Now I want to create a referral program when the user gets 1 year of subscription as a gift.

On Android I can refund him, but what about Apple?

How can I grant them the free access without asking them to stop the renewing?

4 replies

Badge +4

I found this link.

Can I give a promo code to a user that has already an auto-renewable subscription?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @Giovanni , there are essentially two ways on Apple:

• Promotional offers (as you discovered) or Offer Codes. Both of these can be offered to existing subscribers, but the subscriber will have to “buy” the discounted subscription (it will replace the next period of the current subscription). More information on the different types of offers can be found here.
  • Subscription extension. Apple offers an endpoint through which a subscription can be extended for free, however, the maximum duration is 90 days. Also, referrals are not one of the supported use cases for subscription extension, it is meant to compensate for outages etc. The advantage of this endpoint is that the customer does not have to confirm anything.  

Badge +4

Hi @Giovanni , there are essentially two ways on Apple:

• Promotional offers (as you discovered) or Offer Codes. Both of these can be offered to existing subscribers, but the subscriber will have to “buy” the discounted subscription (it will replace the next period of the current subscription). More information on the different types of offers can be found here.
  • Subscription extension. Apple offers an endpoint through which a subscription can be extended for free, however, the maximum duration is 90 days. Also, referrals are not one of the supported use cases for subscription extension, it is meant to compensate for outages etc. The advantage of this endpoint is that the customer does not have to confirm anything.  

Hi @Jens and thank you for your reply.

I Will try to check if Offer Codes are claimable from existing subscribers.

If you agree, I will reply in this post to provide the solution.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

They are applicable for existing customers. The overview table below comes from Apple’s documentation on the various types of offers; when the table talks about “retaining subscribers”, it’s talking about applicability to existing subscribers (whereas “acquiring” talks about people who never had a subscription before, and “winning back” means customers with a lapsed subscription).