Solved

Google account deletion requirement

• 5 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

Hi folks!

Google has updated their policy with the following text, marked my highligts in red:

• To give users more control over their data, we're introducing a new account deletion requirement under our User Data policy. If your app allows users to create an account, then it must also allow users to request for their account to be deleted in the app and through a web resource. All developers must also update their Data safety form in Play Console, where some information may be displayed on your app's Data safety section on Google Play. Learn more in our Help Center and blog.

I have used RevenueCat 100% as my “userhandler” so I all requests regarding deletion has been done manually on e-mail from end user.

In the future it will require a webpage to actually do so, is this a feature that maybe RevenueCat would provide? Or do I need to actually create a webpage to actually do this.

icon

Best answer by Yousef 7 April 2023, 01:43

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

Or do I need to actually create a webpage to actually do this.

From the announcement you shared, it seems you will need to create one,

Account Deletion Requirement

If your app allows users to create an account from within your app, then it must also allow users to request for their account to be deleted. Users must have a readily discoverable option to initiate app account deletion from within your app and outside of your app (e.g., by visiting your website). A link to this web resource must be entered in the designated URL form field within Play Console.

You may also want to also confirm with Google Support.

In the future it will require a webpage to actually do so, is this a feature that maybe RevenueCat would provide? 

As of today, this isn’t something I have heard about, but I will forward this along to the team working in the area as a feature request. One thing to consider, it that this will have to work with your own authentication system that is being used in your application - so it seems not likely that RevenueCat can have an out of box solution for all developers this affects.

We do already have the API’s available to implement this. On the webpage, you could use the same authentication system from your app to identify the user and retrieve their App User ID. To delete, you would just need to make the call to our DELETE subscribers API to have their account deleted.