Solved

Conditionally apply Introductory Offers?

• 17 August 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

I am looking into how to support discounted subscriptions in our app similar to how we provide them in our web based product. We have a few different scenarios that I am looking to support, specifically:

• Giving an introductory offer of 20% off for 3 months based on signup criteria
  • Giving an introductory offer of 20% off for 6 months based on different signup criteria
  • Giving a free month of a subscription

I am looking at https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/ios-subscription-offers to try to figure out the best option for me. It looks like Introductory Offers is what we want for the first two bullet points since we can automatically apply it in-app at initial purchase time without the customer needing to enter an offer code. However, the notes beside intro offers says “SDK applies offer to purchases automatically”, does that mean I can’t control which of the two intro prices I offer? Is that a misunderstanding of intro offers on my part perhaps? Basically, based on server side information, I want to give a customer either intro offer A, B, or no offer at all.

When it comes to a free month of a subscription, I was hoping that I could just credit an account with a free month while they already have an existing subscription. Looks like that isn’t the case, I would have to show the pricing screen again and have the customer manually apply the promotional offer themselves.

I’m really just looking at what options I have right now, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by jazmine 18 August 2021, 00:28

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hey @Lee Howorko :wave: ,

Yes introductory offers are applied automatically because they are set up when you configure your products. Here is more documentation on adding introductory offers. You add an introductory offer to a specific product. Using the example you provided you would have a monthly subscription and have 20% off for 3 months. Since introductory offers are associated with a specific product they are can’t be applied conditionally.

A workaround for this would be to display different products on your paywall given a specific sign-up criteria. 

When it comes to a free month of a subscription, I was hoping that I could just credit an account with a free month while they already have an existing subscription. Looks like that isn’t the case, I would have to show the pricing screen again and have the customer manually apply the promotional offer themselves.

Yes because we aren’t a payment processor we can’t gift a free month on a subscription. Depending on if you are wanting to issue a free month to a existing or new customer promotional offers might work for you.