Best way to introduce a cross platform offer code affiliate program?

• 22 March 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +5

We are playing with the idea of introducing an affiliate program that revolves around using offer codes to track purchases. Very much in the same way that you see podcasts doing it by telling their listeners to enter code “PODCAST” to get 10% off, which in turn allows the company to track sales and measure campaign performance.

I know that iOS and Android both have offer codes, but I think this type of thing would require a more custom solution. Has anyone done this before? I know we could easily build our own system that generates codes, and let users enter a code in the app, which we verify, then display alternate pricing and tag the user with the offer code. But then we have to figure out the best way to track sales, retention, life time value, refunds, etc. to determine how to pay affiliates. 

Would we be able to utilize any of the integrations for this purpose? 

Has anyone done this in combination with a promotional service like https://www.talon.one/?

Any insight here would be appreciated! 

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @kevincarbon ,

There isn’t a set way to do this for both Android and IOS. As Android you can only offer free trials not a percentage off a product. 

The best way to go about this functionality as you somewhat mentioned would be to have a separate offering with new products that are discounted 10%. Then have some area where someone can put in an offer code and then you can present the discounted paywall to the customer. 

Badge +2

Hi @kevincarbon ,

There isn’t a set way to do this for both Android and IOS. As Android you can only offer free trials not a percentage off a product. 

The best way to go about this functionality as you somewhat mentioned would be to have a separate offering with new products that are discounted 10%. Then have some area where someone can put in an offer code and then you can present the discounted paywall to the customer. 

Hey @jazmine, thanks for the response. I agree with you there about how to actually get the discounted pricing available in the app. We could also use deep links to trigger the alternate pricing.

My question was more about tracking this from an affiliate/referral standpoint and if anyone has already gone through this and implemented their own solution. We need/want to be able to track how many referrals came from a certain affiliate/code, and payout to those affiliates a % of proceeds, an amount per sale, generate single-use codes, multi-use codes, expiring codes, provide affiliates with stats, etc..

There are platforms out there like Everflow.io and Tune.com, but how to integrate something like this is the big question.

Badge +4

We use branch.io to create short links for affiliates. It tracks installs and revenue generated from the links and integrates with revenuecat.

Badge

I’ve been considering the same problem as CarbonKevin. If we could pass an arbitrary string with a successful purchase (Flutter please) we could associate a purchase with an affiliate code (the string). If we then had a column for that string in RevCats exportable Customers table, I think we might have a solution?

Badge

We are trying to do the same - has anyone found a solution so far?

Badge +5

@Unio Brainwave Music @Len Law @kevincarbon - curious where did you all land? we are looking to do something similar in our app (flutter) to track upgrades and compensate affiliates. considering building out a custom solution, but if something out there exists would much rather use that.

Badge

@Unio Brainwave Music @Len Law @kevincarbon - curious where did you all land? we are looking to do something similar in our app (flutter) to track upgrades and compensate affiliates. considering building out a custom solution, but if something out there exists would much rather use that.

The best solution I found is combining an affiliate link with a Branch.io link - still researching and looking for solutions though

Badge +4

@Unio Brainwave Music can you share more detail on how you are combining Branch with affiliate? I currently use branch and am looking to setup an affiliate program. 

Badge

@Unio Brainwave Music can you share more detail on how you are combining Branch with affiliate? I currently use branch and am looking to setup an affiliate program. 

It is really really complicated and it heavily depends on your setup. I haven’t started yet and have only done research. So Im not sure it will work yet. I will be starting in a couple months. But in short, I believe you can use the affiliate link as source URL within Branch and let Branch create a new url, then use that for your affiliates. The issue I see is cross platform attribution tracking, especially when you have RevCat for mobile and Stripe for Web. Im not in a place yet to provide any valuable information unfortunately. Id appreciate if you keep me updated too.