Solved

Stripe events not being sent to Segment

• 4 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi there! When we first set up Stripe subscriptions, we verified that they appear in Segment, but now no events are appearing in Segment. Could it be due to the fact that we’re using a coupon / free trial setup (whereas our initial tests did not use coupons)? Why are Stripe free trial events showing up in RevenueCat (as $0.00 purchases) but not in Segment? This is incredibly important for our business analytics, and I was very surprised to see that it isn’t working as expected.

icon

Best answer by ryan 1 December 2021, 18:44

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @Jared 

When you check out the customer’s event details, do you see the Segment event successfully delivered? Have you also followed these set up steps when enabling the Segment integration? Once the configuration page is filled out, RevenueCat should start dispatching events into Segment once we detect them. If you see events being dispatched from RevenueCat, do check out the event payload to see what RevenueCat has sent to Segment. 

Hi @tina, thanks for your response.

Have you also followed these set up steps when enabling the Segment integration? Once the configuration page is filled out, RevenueCat should start dispatching events into Segment once we detect them. If you see events being dispatched from RevenueCat, do check out the event payload to see what RevenueCat has sent to Segment. 

Yes, this is all configured properly. We have been using RC + Segment for over a year now, and it’s working fine with iOS events and some Stripe events.

When you check out the customer’s event details, do you see the Segment event successfully delivered?  

This is precisely the problem. Segment shows up properly for most of our events, but a subset of them (specifically from Stripe, specifically when the purchase price is $0 due to a coupon) do not trigger the Segment integration.

This is what I see for most of our events:

And this is what I see for some of them (specifically from Stripe, specifically when the purchase price is $0 due to a coupon):

Is it possible that this is simply a bug with RevenueCat? Can it be escalated as such? We’re losing a lot of valuable data. Thanks so much!

@tina Any updates on this by chance? I would consider this to be a serious and urgent bug as it’s affecting our analytics and accounting with potentially no way to backfill this data. Have we done something wrong on our end, or is this is an issue with RevenueCat?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hey @Jared 

Sorry for the delay here. I just opened a ticket on your behalf where we can go through some specific examples.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @tina @Jared 

We are also seeing this issue. For normal paid subscription purchases on Stripe we are seeing the events in Segment as expected. However when the purchase involves a 100% off discount code, i.e. the price of the product becomes 0, we do not see these events in Segment.

Many thanks,

Lydia

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey Lydia,

This sounds similar, but just to confirm - when you open an event in the dashboard, do you see "price": null in the event JSON for the events that didn’t trigger a Segment event?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @sharif 

Yes in the RevenueCat dashboard we see the event with "price": null, and then we don’t see the event in Segment.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Lydia @Jared we merged a fix this morning for this issue, let us know if it persists! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@ryan 

Yes that fix seems to have worked for us! Thank you!