Question

Understanding SUBSCRIPTION_PAUSED webhook

• 21 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

Hi, 
We are currently managing app specific entitlements by relying on webhooks.

Does the SUBSCRIPTION_PAUSED event require any intervention to add/remove entitlements? Or this event is just informative and is correctly preceded and followed by RENEWAL and EXPIRATION events (which do need actions)?

This sections of the documentations seems short and I was not able to get a clear picture.

Thank you

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @cube20ever20,

The `SUBSCRIPTION_PAUSED` webhook should be considered informative, as you said. This is a notification just letting you know of the change, and the expectation that the entitlement will be revoked at the end of the billing period. At the end of the billing period, you’ll get a `EXPIRATION` webhook with the expiration_reason as `SUBSCRIPTION_PAUSED` - at that point, you can safely revoke entitlement. When the subscription resumes, you’ll receive a `RENEWAL` webhook. 

This section of the docs includes this information, but I can look into making the section that you linked to more clear!

Badge +5

thank you.

So SUBSCRIPTION_PAUSED is information for both App Store and Play Store or just Android?

As far as RENEWAL event, do you think we should always grant entitlements back if they are missing when a RENEWAL event is received (regardless if it is App Store and Play Store)? From the docs it seems like it’s always yes for App Store, but for Play Store it seems like we should only grant if the previous event was a SUBSCRIPTION_PAUSED. Is my understanding correct here?

Badge +5

Wanting to follow up on this item