Question

RevenueCat advice needed Free Trial/Subscription no backend.

• 4 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +5

Hi, 

I’m going to outline my processes to easily create free trials and subscriptions for one device per google account.  I am looking for advice on how to administer the subscription accounts and what pitfalls I may have, basically will my system work.

Free Trial

1. The app is installed and on its first execute, RevenueCat creates an account for the app.  Every time the app is executed the app will request the requestDate and check it against the current date, when the dates are more than 14 days apart the free trial will end.
  2. My trial time is currently hard coded in honesty I would not really change this time but I am aware I can grab this information from Google if required.

I believe the requestDate does not change as its a static date when the account was created so it can be used for this process.

Is there anything I need to know about using this date does it change at all ?

Questions :

I want to allow a one time only free trial unless I authorise a second trial but I don’t want the app to be reinstalled and restart a free trial.

If the user removes and reinstalls the app will this restart the free trial or does RevenueCat know this device has already created and account?

Can I allow a second free trial?

I have not used the system before so I am wondering how I locate one individual users account to administer these accounts and allow a second free trial if I wish too?

During the free trial the user can install the app on multiple devices, once the trial expires if they subscribe only the subscribed device will be hold the token, this token as shown below is not transferable it would require a reinstallation, can you think of a way to transfer the subscription to another device ? 

Subscription (One device per subscription)

1. At the point of initial purchase RevenueCat creates a random UUID this ID is stored on the device.
  2. When the app is executed it checks the UserId against the stored UUID value if there is no match where the user has multiple devices the subscription will not work on any other devices due to the stored UUID being null apart from on the device that created the subscription purchase

Questions :

Can I still manage cancelled subscriptions I guess I would need to delete the subscription to allow them to start the subscription process again, this would require them to remove the app and reinstall to create a new UUID 

Any information any one can add to this scenario would be very appreciated, this is my simple way of implementing free trials and subscriptions for single devices with no back end server.

I have the app ready to go live but holding back until I know some of these answers…..

1 reply

Badge +5

Well the trial account will update on a reinstallation of the app, so the next question about trials is how to tie this down to one trial period….. so the trial doesn’t restart on a reinstall is there any way to lock this down in RC?

I have tried to use the login api before but from memory other devices take on the userId when they login,

I guess I will have to look at the login api and see how I can tie it down yet keep the subscription to one device only, jump in anyone or RC at any point and send me in the right direction to sort this