Question

Purchases are linked to the wrong account

• 11 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +5

Hi,

I am seeing a weird behavior from RevenueCat in our app where purchases are getting linked to the wrong account. I’ve been able to narrow it down to the following use case:

1. User logs in with new account.
  2. User subscribes.
  3. User cancels their subscription.
  4. User deletes account.
  5. User’s subscription expires.
  6. User logs in with new account.
  7. User subscribes again.
  8. Purchase is linked to old account instead of the new account.

Here’s what I see in the customer history for the old account who is erroneously getting the subscription:

Here’s the history for the new account (Don’t mind the promotional entitlement I granted them while I investigated the issue):

This is clearly the wrong behavior since the user purchased the subscription after logging in with the new account. The purchase should not count as a renewal but as a new purchase on the new account. It seems that RevenueCat erroneously thinks the old subscription was renewed.

I do understand that restoring purchases might solve this issue by causing the old account to get linked with the new one, however, I still think the correct behavior is for any new purchase to get linked to the current logged in account. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Miro

1 reply

Badge +5

Just to follow up, restoring purchases does indeed solve the problem by transferring purchases to the new account.