Is anyone here handling offer codes manually?

• 24 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

It’s pretty clear in the docs that iOS offer codes don’t function very well. I think I can handle the scenario manually in a pretty simple way.

I’m thinking I’ll have a “redeem” screen in my app where a user can input a code, and that code & the app user id will get fired off in a request to a cloud function that will validate that all is correct, and then utilize the “Grant Promotional Entitlement” feature through the RevenueCat v1 API.

Pros to this approach:

• Allows me to have more custom scenarios (I would like to sell bulk licenses to businesses outside of app stores and their employees could redeem this way through the app, flexible free trials like 6 months free, awarding free product to influencers, etc.)

• Seems like it would work a lot more reliably than the native sheet.

Cons:

• Reporting is a little funky since I would have a lot of folks with the ‘rc_promo’ active sku’s, so I may have to keep track of the redeemed codes in a different way as well.

(Mostly) indie dev here so I’m just putting feelers out to see how other folks have solved this problem, and if my approach has any obvious pitfalls that I’m missing. Or if there’s a cleaner way to handle this with Revenuecat first-party sku’s or something like that. This may even be evolving into a feature request as I’m typing this too, haha.

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hey Jake,

Yes, this would allow you to build more custom flows than the App Store allows. There are a couple caveats to keep in mind, though:

1. If a user has a promotional entitlement, we can’t block them from purchasing an IAP. So you would need to check whether a user has an active promotional entitlement before showing a paywall.
  2. We don’t automatically renew promotionals, so you would need logic to keep subscriptions going if that’s what you want
  3. You don’t want to link to an external payment processor from the app. Apple might reject or remove your app if you do.

We do have a post here about bulk subscriptions that you may be interested in.