Question

Detailed debug logs using Unity SDK are not displayed.

• 17 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

We’re integrating RevenueCat to our Unity app, but we can’t seem to find the way to display the detailed logs I’ve seen around in the documentation and in this forum. Those described here. I’ve tried in both an Android and an iOS build.

I am, of course, calling SetDebugLogsEnabled(true) before calling Configure(...), as prescribed in the docs. I can also correctly purchase sandbox subscriptions using the SDK, so the setup phase seems to be working fine.

(We’re using RevenueCat SDK 4.0.0 and Unity 2021.3.8)

4 replies

Badge +3

From ADB logging on an Android build, I now understand these logs are emitted and simply not captured by Unity.

It’s very inconvenient for us as we mostly build using Unity Cloud Build and can’t always connect to a debugger to listen to Logcat. That’s even worst for iOS builds as not all our developers have access to a Mac recent enough to make builds and try to repro issues.

We currently catch and display Unity’s logs to the dev/testers in a in-app console, while also storing them online to help with debugging in some cases. That approach seems like it won’t work with this SDK.

In my experience, Apple/Google purchasing is full of weird bugs and edge cases. It seems like a bit of a risk to go forward without easily accessible logging. Especially for hard to reproduce issues.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get these logs in Unity?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Gabriel_Ulu That’s very valid feedback. 

We have a backlog item in place to provide a log handler callback, that would essentially have the SDK send your app everything it wants to log, so that your app can log it however it works better for you. 

We have something like that on our iOS SDK (documented here). 

I’d love your feedback on this, would having something like it be useful to you and cover your use case? 

Badge +3

@Andy Thanks for your reply!

And yes, getting these logs this way would solve this risk for us.

Is this something we can realistically hope to have soon from the Unity SDK?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Gabriel_Ulu I don’t have an ETA I can share yet, but it’s in our backlog. I’d expect it might take us up to a couple of months to add the log handlers to all SDKs, sadly, since we have a few things sitting higher on the priority list right now