Can I edit user's “Aliases"?

icon

Best answer by cody 23 July 2021, 19:48

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @sereisoglu!

Aliases can’t be selectively edited. Once a user ID has been aliased with another user ID, they are linked together permanently.

That being said, if you delete a user ID from the dashboard, all of their aliases are deleted as well. This will remove all associated transactions and user properties with that user ID and its aliases, and is even appropriate for GDPR requests. The aliases can be re-used, though, and will no longer be linked together if you re-identify with them.

I’d recommend reading through the deleting users doc for more information.

Badge +4

Hey @cody. Thanks for your answer. The reason I want this is because two different users connected from the same device have been merged. I want to fix this without deleting the user's profile.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @sereisoglu!

Thanks for the clarification, I understand - unfortunately, these users can’t be separated unless you delete the user from the dashboard. Once the user has been deleted, they can restore purchases to re-sync their receipt with their user ID, and regain access to their entitlements and purchases.

Badge +4

Well, i don't want something like that again. I don't want to merge two different users connected from the same device. What should I do?

Badge +4

Hey @cody!

I guess I need to checked "Block restores" in RevenueCat settings for this. Is it true?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @sereisoglu,

If you don’t want users to be aliased together, I would recommend setting the behavior to ‘Transfer’ as that will allow users to restore purchases, and ‘reclaim’ their receipt even if another user ID is using it. By blocking transfers, you would prevent the user from restoring their purchases.

Badge +4

Hey @cody,

I want the payment to be linked to the account to which the payment was made. I want the other user not to access their rights when the user logs in as a different user from the same device.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

If you are using custom app user IDs, you can set the restore behavior to ‘Block’ - this would prevent a user from claiming a receipt that another user owns.

As described in the Restoring Purchases doc, you should use this with caution, as it:

Returns an error if the App User ID attempting to restore purchases is different from the original App User ID that made the purchase. This requires customers to sign in with their original App User ID, and is only allowed for apps that require every customer to create an account before purchasing.

Otherwise, you should rely on the ‘Transfer’ behavior to handle receipt transfers to ensure your users always have access to their purchase. The Restoring Purchases documentation has additional information about these two behaviors so you can decide which one is best for your app.

Let me know if that helps! I’m going to go ahead and mark the first answer as ‘Best’ since that most accurately answers the original question.