Solved

Why are some of my subscriptions canceled due to a billing error?

• 23 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

Why are some of my subscriptions canceled due to a billing error? Am I doing something wrong on my end or does that mean the user’s credit card isn’t working or something? Some of the transactions are going through and others aren’t so I’m not sure why this is happening.

icon

Best answer by ryan 23 June 2022, 03:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey @Jordan Peterson!

Nothing you’re doing wrong on your end, it’s due to some issue with the customer’s credit card so Apple can’t charge them. 

Some more info here: 

Badge +5

Thank you @ryan

Really glad to know that I’m not doing something wrong on my end! 

Badge +2

Hi @ryan@Jordan Peterson -

I just wanted to add here that we’ve seen a sudden uptick (all App Store subscribers, actually) in failures for App Store subscription renewals.  All of them are appearing in RevenueCat with a billing issue event that’s followed by a cancellation event.  The cancellation event has a “cancel_reason” of “UNKNOWN.”

I think there’s something else going on here beside a customer credit card issue.  I was able to get in touch with one customer who had this series of events and their credit card was up-to-date and active in their Apple profile.

I’ve submitted a RevenueCat support ticket with links to 4 users showing this same chain of events.  Can you take a look? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey @green.sky193

I think it could be something else going on with those “UNKNOWN” cancelation reasons I just replied to your support ticket.

Badge +2

Thanks, Ryan - after talking with Apple Developer Support, they’re unsure why the cancellation event is being sent or why our in-app purchase is suddenly missing from the App Store listing.  They also do not know if this is isolated to our account, just a few accounts, or is more widespread.  If I find out anything interesting, I’ll let you know.