Question

subscription without paywall?

• 25 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +6

when the user downloads the app, I want the App Store to display the subscription options there, which have to be selected to download. 

I don’t have any “freemium” options, either you’re subscribed and access or not. Ideally there is no paywall. 
can this be achieved?

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

It’s a good question.

I had a similar option in my app with external registration, but Apple threw a spanner in the works and rejected the app because the subscription was initiated outside of the app.

I use Stripe and Firebase/Firestore, but now forced to offer only in-app subscription purchase. The paywall fires up after the user has signed up through FirebaseAuth.

Now that I am using RevenueCat, my database is populated with heaps of RCAnonymous records (Sorry I got off topic)

I would like to see how to show subscriptions without the paywall too.

Michael C.

Badge +6

I thought the actual App Store offered an interface to choose your subscription level.  I swear this happened with Paramount+, for example.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @lucksp,

Unfortunately, I don’t think this is possible via the App Store at this time (requiring a subscription before allowing the download). I’d recommend showing a paywall on launch and requiring a purchase before proceeding.

@OzNick:

Now that I am using RevenueCat, my database is populated with heaps of RCAnonymous records (Sorry I got off topic)

A recommendation here would be to wait to initialize the RevenueCat SDK until after the user has logged in. Since you don’t want anyone to make a purchase before signing up, should be safe to wait until they have signed up to call `configure`, and would prevent the excess anonymous IDs.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hey @lucksp,

Unfortunately, I don’t think this is possible via the App Store at this time (requiring a subscription before allowing the download). I’d recommend showing a paywall on launch and requiring a purchase before proceeding.

@OzNick:

A recommendation here would be to wait to initialize the RevenueCat SDK until after the user has logged in. Since you don’t want anyone to make a purchase before signing up, should be safe to wait until they have signed up to call `configure`, and would prevent the excess anonymous IDs.

Thanks Cody,
The app crashes if don’t call configure in main.dart (when the app loads). 
The paywall pops up after the user has registered their email and during the next step which is updating their personal details, which I think is throwing users off. 

The only place I’m calling the paywall is in the home screen, after the user logs in successfully. I’ve had to send out emails asking hte users to go into My Subscription and tap restore purchases. No where near ideal.

More detail on my issue here

Michael C.