Question

Multiple Subscription Problem

• 28 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am facing an issue with trying to understand how to set up my products. Let me detail out how the product would work. I am creating an app which offers paid, private communities, so you have the following entities;

• Hosts - the person who hosts the community
  • Members - people who join the community
  • Community - the actual community

I want to charge a monthly fee per community and depending on the number of members, lets say $5 a month for 100 members & $10 a month for 200 members. Ultimately, I would like to offer hosts the ability to purchase multiple communities of various sizes.

A single host might;

• Have 1 community of 100 members 
  • Have 2 communities of 200 members

Ergo, the host would have 3 payments per month of $5, $10, $10 which is $25 per month. Leaving aside the particular concerns of the platforms like Apple or Google, how would I achieve this inside RevenueCat?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello,

This could be challenging to implement with Apple and Google since you would want a user to have multiple concurrent subscriptions while their systems are really designed for a single subscription that gives you access or capabilities in the app.

But RevenueCat can track any Apple or Google subscriptions you send. I would recommend not using our entitlements system for this since, like Apple and Google, are more for “you have premium access” rather than “you have 3 communities with differing levels of membership.” Although, one thing to note, is that our API considers multiple subscriptions to the same product as one subscription, in that we just look at the expiration date furthest in the future when deciding which subscription to return. This shouldn’t be an issue as Apple and Google won’t let your customers obtain multiple subscriptions to the same product, but something to keep in mind as you build your service.

For an offering as complex as yours, I would recommend using Stripe. Keep in mind that since you’re offering a digital product you can’t have your users purchase memberships in your app. They would have to purchase on the web.

Badge +2

Hello,

This could be challenging to implement with Apple and Google since you would want a user to have multiple concurrent subscriptions while their systems are really designed for a single subscription that gives you access or capabilities in the app.

But RevenueCat can track any Apple or Google subscriptions you send. I would recommend not using our entitlements system for this since, like Apple and Google, are more for “you have premium access” rather than “you have 3 communities with differing levels of membership.” Although, one thing to note, is that our API considers multiple subscriptions to the same product as one subscription, in that we just look at the expiration date furthest in the future when deciding which subscription to return. This shouldn’t be an issue as Apple and Google won’t let your customers obtain multiple subscriptions to the same product, but something to keep in mind as you build your service.

For an offering as complex as yours, I would recommend using Stripe. Keep in mind that since you’re offering a digital product you can’t have your users purchase memberships in your app. They would have to purchase on the web.

So it is not possible subscribe multiple apple items on revenue cat?
I have 3 different products all of them subscription
when I subscribe second item it says product_change

i have tried it via 3 different entitlement and 1 entitlement (3 products) but it is same.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

That issue is on Apple’s end, not RevenueCat. It sounds like you put the three subscriptions in the same subscription group, which tells Apple that the user can only have a maximum one of them. If you try to subscribe to another subscription in the group, Apple will cancel the current subscription and start a new one (this is called a subscription group.) Just put them in different subscription groups and multiple subscriptions should work.

Badge +2

That issue is on Apple’s end, not RevenueCat. It sounds like you put the three subscriptions in the same subscription group, which tells Apple that the user can only have a maximum one of them. If you try to subscribe to another subscription in the group, Apple will cancel the current subscription and start a new one (this is called a subscription group.) Just put them in different subscription groups and multiple subscriptions should work.

Yeah,that worked! thank you!!!