Question

Is it possible to implement a trial without IAP?

• 28 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hello!

We don’t want to force users to subscribe, so we’d like to give a trial to a user using our own mechanism without showing an in-app subscription popup.

The flow would be:

1. User signed up and received 7 days trial
  2. After 7 days we show a paywall

Would that work? Is it allowed by Apple? 

Thanks,

Stan

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @Stan Shvaika!

If you wanted to avoid using in-app purchases for trials, you could automatically grant your users a promotional entitlement using our API for the time length you wanted. That way, the user wouldn’t have to subscribe and you could avoid the whole payment/checkout process, and it also wouldn’t renew.

You could still check PurchaserInfo from the SDK, and we would treat it like a normal subscription - once it’s expired, you could show a paywall. Let me know if that makes sense!

Badge +3

Hey @Stan Shvaika!

If you wanted to avoid using in-app purchases for trials, you could automatically grant your users a promotional entitlement using our API for the time length you wanted. That way, the user wouldn’t have to subscribe and you could avoid the whole payment/checkout process, and it also wouldn’t renew.

You could still check PurchaserInfo from the SDK, and we would treat it like a normal subscription - once it’s expired, you could show a paywall. Let me know if that makes sense!

Thank you, it makes sense! And is it allowed by Apple rules? 

Badge +3

Hello, I have one more question. Is it possible to use checkTrialOrIntroductoryPriceEligibility method to check if the promotional entitlement can be granted?

I’ve created 2 products in RC and App Store Connect, but currently for both of them this method returns:

Not eligible for trial or introductory price.

Is it because these products do not include trial in App Store Connect?