Question

Seeing a large amount of BILLING_ERROR or BILLING_ISSUE events

• 25 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

I’ve been seeing a ton of these events come through and they often lead to cancelation and lost revenue. How can I make sure this isn’t due to some misconfiguration in RC or Apple, or my code set up?

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey there, 

Billing errors come from the respective store and we dont have anything reason really for why the error happened in more depth other than the fact that billing issues occur when a user is unable to complete a subscription purchase due to an invalid or expired payment method. When this occurs, RevenueCat sends a BILLING_ISSUE event to webhooks, integrations, and the customer history page.

RevenueCat will only send one billing issue event -- additional payment failures won't trigger additional billing issue events, unless a renewal is successful between payment failures or the subscription ends and is restarted.

More information on Billing issues and grace periods can be found here: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/how-grace-periods-work

Badge +2

Same here. All 7 of my free trials didn’t cancel and when their trial finishes revenuecat says billing error. But monthly without trial works. I hear that app purchases have this problem about 20% of time but It’s hard to believe that 7 out of 7 will be billing issues. 100%. anyone have solution?

Badge +1

Same here. All 7 of my free trials didn’t cancel and when their trial finishes revenuecat says billing error. But monthly without trial works. I hear that app purchases have this problem about 20% of time but It’s hard to believe that 7 out of 7 will be billing issues. 100%. anyone have solution?

It’s honestly been so frustrating, I’ve lost over $150 in revenue from 3 failed yearly trials. 

What is worse is we lose money when our customers use the product a lot and don’t pay!

Badge +3

I'm from Brazil and I created an application, we offered 7 days of testing for users and after that, we had a large volume of "pending payments" and "billing issue" did you experience this too?

I had 35 subscriptions and only 5 converted.

Did you manage to solve it?