Solved

Mixpanel: Parallel Trial and regular cancellation/renewal events?

• 13 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

hello!

I am wondering if both events are sent in parallel to Mixpanel in following use cases:

• User cancels the trial period: rc_trial_cancelled_event and rc_cancellation_event both, or just the trial one?
  • User keeps the subscription after the trial period: rc_trial_converted_event and rc_renewal_event bothor just the trial one?

I am asking because of the Trial flow descriptions in the webhook section of the documentation, where trial events are not present: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/event-flows#initial-purchase-flow

I am wondering how this translates into the events sent towards the Mixpanel.

icon

Best answer by kaitlin 15 September 2023, 17:15

View original

3 replies

Badge

Also to add to this question:

• Are both rc_trial_started_event and rc_initial_purchase_event sent, when Trial is started? Or is it only the trial one?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey @samo-bracic-bb

User cancels the trial period: rc_trial_cancelled_event and rc_cancellation_event both, or just the trial one?

Just the `rc_trial_cancelled_event` will fire when a trial period is opted out of conversion.

User keeps the subscription after the trial period: rc_trial_converted_event and rc_renewal_event bothor just the trial one?

Just the `rc_trial_converted_event` will fire when the trial converts. 

Are both rc_trial_started_event and rc_initial_purchase_event sent, when Trial is started? Or is it only the trial one?

You’re probably sensing a theme here, but just the `rc_trial_started_event` will fire here. 

These are a good questions - MixPanel (and some other integrations, though not all) covers these trial period cases with a trial-specific event, where as Webhooks do not, and will use the general events for trial periods. 

Badge

This is very helpful, I have one more question!
Do both `rc_trial_converted_event` and `rc_initial_purchase_event` fire at the same time when a user completes their trial and pays for the first time?

The definitions are:
Initial purchase: A new subscription has been purchased.
Trial converted: When an auto-renewing subscription product converts from a free trial to normal paid period.