Solved

Upgrading & Downgrading with Multiple Subscription Groups

• 21 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hey all,

I am a bit confused on how best to setup subscription groups on iOS and would love your help.

On my app I’m adding 3 service levels (Silver, Gold, Platinum) with 4 durations each (Monthly, 3 Months, 6 Months, Annual). The 3 service levels are setup as entitlements on RevenueCat and they are set up as 3 separate subscription groups on App Store Connect.

While testing, I realized that a user could be subscribed to all 3 simultaneously and upgrading/downgrading does not automatically work as I didn’t specify anywhere that one subscription is a down/upgrade of another. 

From my understanding on this and this post, Apple would automatically manage the up/down/cross grading with refunds and billing.

My question is; to set everything up correctly, would I need to have 1 instead of the 3 subscription groups I currently have for each service level on App Store Connect and pile all the 12 products under 1 subscription group? Or did I start off correctly with 3 subscription groups and would need to do something further to declare them as service levels?

Thanks in advance :)

icon

Best answer by jazmine 23 August 2021, 23:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hey @Gonenc Mete :wave: ,

If the 3 programs are separate subscriptions, I'd recommend creating 3 separate entitlements in RevenueCat, and 3 separate subscription groups in App Store Connect.

In this way, a user could be subscribed to multiple programs at the same time.

If only one program should be subscribed to at a single time, you could still create multiple entitlements, but only keep products in a single subscription group separated into service levels. We describe service levels in our blog post from above, and here: https://www.revenuecat.com/blog/ios-subscription-groups-explained

Additionally, Apple describes subscription groups here: https://help.apple.com/app-store-connect/#/dev75708c031

Let us know if this answered your question!

Badge +3

Thank you so much Jazmine!

Badge +3

@jazmine how would this work on Google Play?

I have two questions concerning this:

1. How would I setup Google Play to reflect Gold and Silver subscriptions where where only one should be active at once?

2. How do I have to use the RevenueCat API in code to upgrade or downgrade a subscription?

Regards, 

Tobias